www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LouC - outdrive jack
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:16 pm 
email admin your custom rank

LouC, I've seen from some of your past posts that you have an outdrive jack that appears to have come from Stumpys Fabworks. I am interested in your opinion of the jack. Is there anything you don't like about it? Thanks in advance.

Gary

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

Post subject: Re: LouC - outdrive jack
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:20 pm 

For the money it's great. I buit a wood stand about 8 years ago when I started doing my own outdrive maintenance. I had adjustable casters under it. That worked ok but this is much better.
Nothing really I don't like about it...

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:28 pm 

Thanks for the comments, Lou. I was just about to order one last fall, but,.......well.........you know how schedules change and interruptions show up.

Gary

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:55 pm 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nbiqnmzm0zmlt ... 5.jpg?dl=0

Here's a pic, excuse the salt water used outdrive. When I say OMC Cobras are tough and can take a beating, you know I'm not kidding. Six months in salt water every year since I've had it (since 2002).

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:21 am 

clean that drive.. it looks like poo poo hole..

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:56 pm 

This is what a drive was properly painted will look like after 6 months in salt water. Ever kept an I/O in the salt? Its not like keeping a boat with inboards or outboards in salt. Because, the anti fouling paints for aluminum do NOT work well since they outlawed Tributyl tin. However, the Coast Guard and some commercial ships can still use it.
Now you all know what I'm talking about when people ask about slipping I/O boats in salt water. Its like owning a car in NYC. Its gonna get trashed lol. But its the ORIGINAL drive with ORIGINAL gears. Shifts like new. Better than a number of Alphas that friends have had. Replaced a few seals and a bearing carrier inside. That's all 27 years old. Thank you OMC.....

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:48 pm 

LouC wrote:
This is what a drive was properly painted will look like after 6 months in salt water. Ever kept an I/O in the salt? Its not like keeping a boat with inboards or outboards in salt. Because, the anti fouling paints for aluminum do NOT work well since they outlawed Tributyl tin. However, the Coast Guard and some commercial ships can still use it.
Now you all know what I'm talking about when people ask about slipping I/O boats in salt water. Its like owning a car in NYC. Its gonna get trashed lol. But its the ORIGINAL drive with ORIGINAL gears. Shifts like new. Better than a number of Alphas that friends have had. Replaced a few seals and a bearing carrier inside. That's all 27 years old. Thank you OMC.....

These antifouling paint manufacturers love it; their product MIGHT be slightly better than the rest is some areas, but they know thay are still very poor but some punters will go with them. I even wonder if a very cheap domestic paint that wears away very quickly might be better !

Incidentally, our western armed forces are still allowed to use the very effective tin based antifoul paints. I'm sure the rest of the world still use it as well !

Indidentally, the active ingredient ( tributyl tin oxide) is still easily available to anyone as a precursor for home lab chemical synthesis. Expensive though

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:53 pm 

LouC wrote:

When I was younger and the Summer Sea temperatures were warmer ( up to ca 2005, 18 deg.C or so) I used to don the wet suit and give the drive/ props a scrub with a scotchbrite pad. Not so since, the sea temperature has barely exceeded 14 deg. C since!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:04 pm 

I will clean it with the boat on the mooring when the water temps are like 70 but I usually pull it out in August, clean it, check the drive oil and anodes and touch up the paint. If only the paint worked like the copper based ones do on the hull it would be not nearly as much of a pain...

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:18 pm 

LouC wrote:

Hey- My 30 year old Alpha One / MR is still going strong! (Of course it's trailered and only touches fresh water :) )

5.0L Mercruiser, Alpha 1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:07 pm 

Vintage Beauty wrote:
LouC wrote:

Hey- My 30 year old Alpha One / MR is still going strong! (Of course it's trailered and only touches fresh water :) )

Think he was referring to the not so smooth shifting action the Alpha 1 is known for ;)

PS: I want one of those jacks outdrive jacks as well!