www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:17 pm 
Tadpole

Hi guys,

I'm new here and thought this would be the best place to ask this.

I have a 1996 Four Winns 170 Horizon. I'm in the process of removing the engine (have it all taken apart, just need to get the hoist here to pull it out) and I wanted to go ahead and order my parts that I need. Upon turning the key, it is a harsh, loud medal on medal grinding noise. Took her to the shop and they said in order to do ANY tests, the engine needs to be able to turn over... thus they said I need a flywheel and a starter. I've already purchased the starter but I'd like to go ahead and get the flywheel out of the way. I haven't gotten the engine out yet (plan on it Wednesday).. but I was wondering if any of you knew the part # or where I can find the flywheel itself? A simple search of the engine model number yields flywheel housings, parts, etc. but not the actual wheel itself.

Thanks for any help!

Volvo Penta SX Cobra 3.0
Engine Model : 302CPHUB
Engine S/N : T01276923

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:22 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Try sourcing just the ring gear. They are replacable in most cases at a fraction of the price.

And a lot of others.

Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:32 pm 
Tadpole

Wow didn't think of that! Looks like they can be found for around $40 or so for the ring gear.

I'm not fimiliar with these engines too much.. but I assume Volvo-Penta flywheel ring gears can be substituted with those from a GM engine? as long as the diameter matches up and the # of teeth? Most places I see selling flywheels and ring gears are listed for "GM ENGINES" but it seems they are universal as long as the bolts and diameter are the same.

Looking at these for reference:
http://www.iboats.com/Volvo-Penta-Flywheel-Ring-Gears/dm/view_id.869953

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:47 pm 

Also, in most cases when the starter drive takes a crap, the ring gear can be salvaged. Pop the starter out and rotate the engine with a ratchet and socket on the front of the crankshaft (5/8 socket I think it is) and look for damaged teeth. I have cleaned many up over the years with a triangular file.

I'd be happy to move your post to the engine section if you'd like. Probably get more input there.

And a lot of others.

Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:54 pm 
Tadpole

Winter Sux wrote:
Also, in most cases when the starter drive takes a crap, the ring gear can be salvaged. Pop the starter out and rotate the engine with a ratchet and socket on the front of the crankshaft (5/8 socket I think it is) and look for damaged teeth. I have cleaned many up over the years with a triangular file.

I'd be happy to move your post to the engine section if you'd like. Probably get more input there.

Yes please move it if you don't mind. I'll try to do that when the engine is out. Now that you mention it - how difficult is it to take the flywheel out of its housing? Mind you i'll already have the starter out I figured when I was doing that I could pop the flywheel out and inspect it (check for damaged teeth like you mentioned)

Thanks! I'm just trying to prepare myself for what I may encounter when I actually tear the starter and flywheel out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:55 am 

Keep in mind that these engines are really GM engines that have been marinzied by Volvo. I think you may be able to clean up the gear as some noted but if not you might be able to remove the whole thing yourself and take it to a shop to get them to install a new ring gear on the flywheel.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:01 pm 
Tadpole

Thanks for all the input guys! Here's what the current situation is:

Took the engine out and inspected the starter/flywheel. There was a loose bolt (big bolt) on the starter that had snapped and fallen underneath the engine.. thus making the starter loose which caused many more issues in itself. After removing the jammed bolt, I replaced the starter. The flywheel was in PERFECT condition - which is amazing considering this is a 96 engine. All the teeth were sharp and in great condition.. a little rust on the flywheel itself but I sanded it off and polished it up.

Had a lot of trouble trying to get the outdrive back in.. thinking there's some alignment issue but did manage to get the outdrive "arm" into the engine after removing all the old grease. I still need to take it back off and re-grease it and check the engine allignment since I have the engine alignment tool now. Other than that, changed the oil (2008 oil filter & oil.. been running the boat since up to 2012.. oops!).. took apart the carb. and cleaned it all out, changed the spark plugs, steering fluid, etc. Ran sea-foam in the oil tank, gas tank, and some in the carb and took her out the other day (in the snow)... boat runs GREAT. purs like a kitten. Only problem is when it planes its kind of hesitant and vibrates a little. Going to check the alignment as stated above. Honestly, it could just be more bad gas/gunk that needs to get out of the engine. Once she planes she runs awesome - had it running top speed with no issues or overheating at all.

I'll post pics soon! Thanks guys

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:24 am 

Two things:
Make sure the starter bolts are not too long because they will bottom out in the engine block and then the starter will twist under the torque of starting the engine and will break one of the bolts.
If it's supposed to have a front mount for the starter (my '88 4.3 does) use it for the same reason.

Lastly yes you must pull the drive and align the engine.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II