www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:54 am 
Shark

Picked my 2002 h190 up from storage, outdrive rose fine for trailering home. Today I went to lower it and nothing...click, click,click sound when engaging the thumb switch on the throttle. Also noticed that when the ignition key is in the on position, there is a "relay click" about every three seconds. Never had that before. Ideas?..battery has enough juice to turn motor over, but haven't started it. First step for me is to make sure fully charged.

Edit. Not the battery. Fully charged battery from truck doesn't help

Doesn't appear to be relays. Removed, no corrosion. Swapped, individually both have a pretty healthy click when the switch is engaged.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:19 am 
email admin your custom rank

This appears to be a common problem; try cleaning the ground cable where it bolts to the engine bell housing (behind the Sbd side exhaust manifold).
The trim pump pulls a lot of amps so any corrodion will increase resistance. If you still have the crappy OE cables with wingnuts get them re done with proper marine tinned wire, and automotive style but marine quality clamps for the battery terminals . This is the source of many problems with starters and the trim system.
Click suggests not enough current...
If the batt cables are OK then you have to see how the current is fed from the B+ on the starter solenoid to the trim system. There will be a heavy gauge wire that feeds current from the solenoid to the relays . A bad connection between those two points could be the cause. Also see how the relays are grounded; if the current can't return it won't work.

The old style large relays that OMC used before the joint venture models with Volvo 94/98 years that have the smaller relays like for aux lights on cars (and still used on later Volvos) seem less prone to trouble.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:53 am 
Shark

Thanks for the response Lou. I messed around a bit more with the relays. Had my wife bump the switches up and down while I was jiggling the wire/pump motor and it suddenly fired. Wife jumped about three feet in the air, but for whatever reason it's fine now. I'll definitely take a closer look at the wires, but glad it doesn't appear to be anything major.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:05 am 

Misterbulbous wrote:
Thanks for the response Lou. I messed around a bit more with the relays. Had my wife bump the switches up and down while I was jiggling the wire/pump motor and it suddenly fired. Wife jumped about three feet in the air, but for whatever reason it's fine now. I'll definitely take a closer look at the wires, but glad it doesn't appear to be anything major.

It could also be the trim motor itself, such as worn/dirty brushes inside. Sometimes tapping on the motor gets it started. If it doesn't turn out to be a loose wire connection, then it might be time for a new motor (or have it rebuilt).

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:49 am 
Shark

Misterbulbous wrote:

I agree. Seems to work fine now. Was a little stressed because next weekend is our week vacation at Lake Norris and for the first time, our kids our taking friends. Didn't want to have a major crisis this week.

At least I know where the source of the issue and know it's not a relay or switch problem.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:55 pm 

Misterbulbous wrote:

I had the same issue with the same "fix" - I need to make time to pull apart and reconnect the trim pump wiring.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:27 am 
french 829

We are doing our week at Norris the week after you. We keep our boat on a lift at Stardust all the time now though. Where are you staying? Have a great week!

2011 Nissan Armada Platnum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:58 am 

french829 wrote:
We are doing our week at Norris the week after you. We keep our boat on a lift at Stardust all the time now though. Where are you staying? Have a great week!

We will be doing our week after yours for Fire on the Water.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:21 pm 
Shark

Fire on the Water is INSANE. Easily the scariest thing I have ever done in a boat. Never again. We're staying near Waterside. Last year we rented that "lighthouse" near sequoyah. We get there next Monday.