www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:28 pm 
Dolphin

LVChris wrote:
Powermaker, that's great to hear you finally got it! And good to know what was making an easy task so damn difficult. Glad you figured it out.

Sad to hear someone abandoned a great boat like that...I'm not the one who was looking for a hatch though...

Yeah , I was just going to get in case someone on here needed one .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:51 pm 
Dolphin

Well after putting the muffs on and making sure everything was working right I launched the boat with my wife in it and headed home with the truck and trailer. My wife backed the boat off the trailer , turned her , accelerated , planed off and headed down the lake . When she went to dock our boat , when she pushed the shifter forward it wouldn't go in gear . And when she would put the shifter in reverse IT WOULD GO FORWARD! Suggestions ? Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:50 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Check the connection at the outdrive, its either loose or not hooked up. You should be able to inspect it in the water with it all the way up. You have to swim but its doable.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:52 pm 

Yep look here;

Did the new clamp maybe come off of the shifter?

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA
1996 Four Winns 238 Vista Dlx 5.8Fi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:25 pm 

More likely the outer cable retainer at the outdrive is loose I'd have thought ( the bracket in the intermediate housing that locates into the groove on the outer cable)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:34 pm 
Dolphin

Well the thunderstorms have passed so I went down to the dock and checked the connection at the shifter . All was good . Decided I would start it myself and see how it felt when I shifted . It started right up IN FORWARD GEAR . I moved the whole dock ! The shifter was in neutral but no matter where I moved it , it was going forward. Tommorrow I guess I'll get in the water and check the connections at the out drive . I'm hoping it is the cable retainer clamp that Grahm spoke of . I don't know if I can get to that in the water . I sure would hate for my wife to try and trailer the boat in this condition.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:39 pm 
Dolphin

If it is the cable retainer , does it matter which gear the out drive is actually in when I reclamp the retainer ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:13 am 

The retainer and fixing bolt are easy to access. If the outdrive is in forward, then if it is the retainer that is at fault, I guess the shift leer at the helm should be in forward before it is reclamped.. I'd be tempted to have the cover off though to have a look at the linkages to make sure the mechanism is actually fully selected in the forward position.

If it's not the retainer, then you are going to have to remove the cover anyhow ( 3 bolts) to see if there is something wrong with the linkages ( someone posted a few years ago about the upper lever that wearing through/ the actuating .rod falling off)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:59 am 

After you take the cover off the back of the outdrive. You will see the linkage like in the picture with the nut on it. You can shift the boat by hand from there. I think pushing forward is reverse but I could be mixed up. I agree that the clamp has likely slipped but just shift the outdrive into neutral before tightening the clamp. You should be able to spin the props by hand if you are in neutral. I know its obvious but make sure keys aren't in the ignition Starting in gear can be a very dangerous thing, and if you are a little out of adjustment the prop will turn. You will get it, and this is minor...lol Wait till you get to change a starter or bilge pump under the center of the motor..THEN you will bleed and cuss and learn to stand on your head.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:06 am 

Re: the starter read my trick in Ray's thread for making it easier...
And just say NO to pumps under the engine:
Make up a right angle bracket out of aluminum; mount your pump n switch to that; attach the vertical leg of the bracket to the bulkhead behind the gas tank.....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:55 am 
Dolphin

Thanks so much for the help guys ! I'm Heading down to the dock with my "Aqua ratchet and sockets" this morning. I'll let you know how it goes . I might be able to avoid a divorce after all !