www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:36 am 
Shark

I have an OMC Cobra and occasionally I will get a random no start and by wiggling the shift lever the engine will start. It is not a weak starter or battery as nothing will even attempt to crank, and also while loading/unloading/docking shifting between gear it will randomly die and then fires back up on first crank. Is this a sign the shift cutout switch or the neutral drive switch on the shift bracket is causing the issue? The boat is mechanically sound as a full ignition tune up was done middle last season.

1993 Horizon 190 5.0 EFI (Sold)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:39 pm 
email admin your custom rank

If it starts when you wiggle the shifter then you may be getting wear in the shift control that's not engaging the neutral start switch when the shifter is in neutral. If it stalls when shifting that's a sign that the transom shift cable is getting sticky, or the bellcrank in the pivot housing has deposits behind it causing the cable to drag. Either cause keeps the ESA engaged too long and that can cause stalling. Mis-adjustment of the ESA switches can also cause this. New problem or on-going?

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:34 am 
Shark

The no start has happened to my once last year and once so far this year. As for the stalling that's been happening since I purchased the boat last year, and I thought that it was an ignition issue. The shifting feels smooth as I don't really feel any binding into it. Looks like need to dig out the OMC shop manuals I have and verify the ESA and neutral switch adjustment first then look into the cables.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:51 pm 
Shark

Went out tonight and started the troubleshooting per the OMC manuals I purchased last year. First thing I noticed is the motor bracket with the 2 cables you could rotate it 3/4" back and forth and the outdrive shift cable was on the minus side of the slot. Also when in reverse the ESA switch did not recenter itself in the V after engaging reverse spinning the prop. Centered the shift cable back to the center of the slot (removed all the slop) and adjusted the thumb wheel on the shift cable to the control until it centered itself in both directions. Now while only on the hose it will grind going into both directions which I think it is now too loose... but think really need to be in the water under load to verify the no grinding when prop is under load.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:13 pm 
email admin your custom rank

grinding is no good. You are not getting enough throw in either direction. If you haven't seen it google Midnight Wolf OMC parts, he sells 2 of the special tools you need to set up the shift cables right and he also has revised factory instructions you can print out. It took me about a day to figure out how to get this right. I started with the drive off.
First set the shift rod height in the lower unit.
Then used the tool to hold the bellcrank at a 90* angle to the pivot housing (bell housing) and used the shift cable tool to set up the transom cable on the engine end. Then reinstalled the drive and adjusted the remote cable (that goes to the remote control from the engine bellcrank shift lever) as per the instructions. It shifts with 2 fingers like it should no grinding.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:36 am 
Shark

Thanks, I'll order a set of those tools.

The grinding bugged me so I went back and set the cables back to the original position that they were in. I then took the parts off to see if the pins and bushings needed greased. The bolt pins for the switch and cables the bushings had some buildup of gunk and needed greased. Went back thru the test procedure per the manual and now it seems to recenter on the V, but did not get a chance to start it again on the hose to verify. Will verify that this weekend before going out on the water.