www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:03 pm 
Clownfish

In case it ever happens to me, I was wondering how I'd lift the outdrive (SX-M) to trailer the boat if things went south and it was stuck in the down position. I found this thread and wondered if it was still relevant (4th answer by Graham)?
I guess I'd remove the highlighted clip, then take the bolt out. Once the drive is loose, I'd have to secure it in an upright position. Guess it's time to buy a trailering bracket and maybe some stern drive clips.

Any other suggestions?

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:05 am 
email admin your custom rank

Yes, that is the way to do it, once one clip and washer is removed, lift the drive slightly ( there's enough free play and push/ drift the pin out but not completely. Tie up the free end of the ram. Then repeat on the other side and finally push the rod to it's normal position; ropes can then be attached to the pin to hold the drive up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:05 am 

Yes, that is the way to do it, once one clip and washer is removed, lift the drive slightly ( there's enough free play and push/ drift the pin out but not completely. Tie up the free end of the ram. Then repeat on the other side and finally push the rod to it's normal position; ropes can then be attached to the pin to hold the drive up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:14 am 

I would recommend bringing a ratchet strap or other cargo straps on the boat. Hook the strap on a rear cleat or tie down ring, loop it under the drive and hook on the other cleat. You might need another strap for the cylinders. Otherwise, you might need to open a line and dump fluid, but that doesn't usually go well. The straps can also come in handy for other things.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:20 am 

There may also a manual release valve on the pump, that allows you to lift the drive without disconnecting the cylinders. Unfortunately, I do not have a picture of the release valve, but I had done that before on my previous OMC Cobra.

Still requires a ratchet strap or a strong guy to lift, but when the valve is screwed closed again, the drive will stay up on it's own.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings