www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:02 pm 
Minnow

Hello
I have a OMC 2.3l engine with a Mallory distributor part #YS621CV. I want to change from the points system it uses. I have seen many suggest the 9ML-141 from Pertronix. Has anyone had issues with this conversion? How easy is it to do? I have contacted Pertronix but no one has gotten back to me.
Please help.
Thanks
Ed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:07 pm 
email admin your custom rank

You will need to do a modification to the ESA system for it to work with the electronic unit. Petronix used to have plans for that on their website. Otherwise you will not be able to shift from in-gear to neutral which is dangerous. Unless the OE distributor is worn out, or you can't stand maintaining points, I'd stick with that. I grew up with cars that had carbs, points (and some even had mechanical valve lifters imagine that) and learned early on how to maintain them. Simple but regular work is needed. No mystery boxes that go poof and can't be replaced because they are No Longer Available...

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:31 pm 
Minnow

Thank you. The problems is I never learned how to maintain points. Im willing to learn. Is there a place I can go to read in it? I have to look up and read about the ESA. I didnt know about it.
Thanks
Ed

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:28 am 

If you look at the Iboats forums in the engine section it explains how to tune up an engine with points. You need a remote starter switch, feeler gauges, tach dwell meter and a screwdriver.
Basically the points are opened and closed by the cam inside the distributor. When they are closed a strong magnetic field is induced in the ignition coil and when they open the magnetic field collapses and the high voltage is sent to the spark plug via the rotor, dist cap and spark plug wires.
The gap can be set with feeler gauges but should be checked with a dwell meter with the engine running. Dwell=the # of degrees the dist shaft turns with the points closed. Point gap and dwell are inversely related.
The ESA is a solid state device that lowers the idle when you shift from fwd or rev to neutral. This allows the dog clutch the release; it's designed to hold under engine power and force against the prop.

BTW that 2.3 is a Ford engine that dates back to the 70s; it was used in millions of smaller Fords (Mustangs, Faimonts, Ranger pick ups,etc)...

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:53 am 

It's under FAQs for I/Os scroll down you'll see it lots of good info..

PS I learned on a 1965 VW Beetle with a 1200 cc flat 4 air cooled motor; then graduated to V8 Chevrolets, Fords and others.
The GM Delco dist had this great feature that allows you to set the dwell with an Allen wrench with the engine running.

2008 Walker Bay 8