www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: High Five Ordered Today
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:20 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I just put my order in for a 19" high five. Can't wait to try it out. Of course, I will let you all know what I think compared to my 19" 3-blade SS.

2005 210 Horizon
5.0L GXi
"Don't Think Twice"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:50 pm 

Nice Juan! 8)
What was the 3 blade SS prop'?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:18 am 

deafwish wrote:
Nice Juan! 8)
What was the 3 blade SS prop'?

14.5 x 19 Viper (I think it was the SS upgrade from new)

2005 210 Horizon
5.0L GXi
"Don't Think Twice"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:50 pm 

So I installed and gave it a run today. The install seemed a little sketchy to me. At first it did not seem like the outside thrust washer was going to make it down to the splines on the shaft which did not make sense. But then once I started cranking it down, the prop seated deeper on the shaft and eventually the thrust washer caught some of the splines. Not sure how much of them it is over, but enough to stop it from rotating. Hopefully this is normal.

Then I got to testing her out. I was a little disappointed at first. I did not seem to have a noticeably better hole shot. Lost a couple mph off the top (2 or 3) which does not really bother me because I rarely run wide open. Seemed to lose the stern a little with hard turns at high speeds. Overall, I thought I wasted my money.

Then I had the admiral pull me on the slalom for the first time this year. It pulled me out better than I can ever remember being pulled by any boat (including my brother's cobalt with 5.7 DP). I was out in no time and up to skiing speed immediately (about 27 mph). My wife was holding both arms in the air repeatedly to show me that the boat was just holding speed with not working of the throttle. She was thrilled.

Then I pulled my wife on skis. I saw the same speed control that she was experiencing. I set it to 21 on the gps and it just stayed there. The speed control was outstanding.

I also noticed much less bow rise on moderate acceleration. It used to be that if my wife was driving and took off slow (I rarely take off slow), the bow would rise, the boat would be plowing through the water, and I would want to reach over and give it gas. With the high five, it never felt that way. It seemed to handle low speeds much better. Eventually, I determined that the high five did actually handle turns well when I dialed it back a bit. While spinning back around to a skier or pulling a tight turn at a reasonable speed, It really dug in. I think at first I must have been throwing it into a turn that was unreasonable and thus the stern washed out a bit.

Another interesting change was no-wake speed. The boat carries a much higher speed without making a wake. I am not sure why this is, but we both noticed this change.

So, overall, I can definitely see why this is the water sports prop of choice. It seems well suited for that task. I thought I would see a more noticeable difference in acceleration when not towing and was a little disappointed at first, but overall, I think this prop will be great for us.

2005 210 Horizon
5.0L GXi
"Don't Think Twice"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:10 pm 

Good review, thanks!
Any happy snaps of it installed on the outdrive?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:53 pm 

2005 210 Horizon
5.0L GXi
"Don't Think Twice"