www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:48 am 
email admin your custom rank

jayjay4735 wrote:
...I'd at least talk to an attorney to see what they think as far as going after the marina for the damages.

+1

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:40 am 

I agree....in the absence of shaft damage or impact...seal failure didn't cause that in such a short time. Take photos of where you stored it...get the documents for service...and photos of the seals.

If you can find out their insurance company then file claim on shop insurance, not your insurance..they should have E&O <errors and omissions> coverage. If the shop is certified Volvo/Penta then call your local service rep....VP may apply presure..forget attorney cuz it will cost you more, but file small claims suit and prove it up with documentation and other mechanics professional opinions. You just need to prove up over 51%.

That's BS...them saying it isn't on them doesn't mean it will not be on them.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:33 am 

jayjay4735 wrote:
The fast fact sheet for the h210ss shows that it the volvo engines came with the SX outdrive, so I'll assume that's what you have. Greatlakesskipper.com has them new for 5500 and even has a freshwater demo model available for 5k. If you wanted to look around on CL or ebay I'm sure you can find rebuilt ones cheaper than that. For the kind of money you're going to have to spend, I'd at least talk to an attorney to see what they think as far as going after the marina for the damages.

You could get the 2010 H210SS with Merc or VP engines. Merc engines could be had with the Alpha or Bravo One. VP was SX only. You can buy multiple Alpha drives for the price of one Bravo or SX.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:59 pm 
Tadpole

One thing I don't understand is why the engine would not start, unless the drive shaft was locked up. If you have a SX drive the shifting is in the upper unit and if in neutral the boat would have started. A Mercruiser shifts in the lower unit so I guess it could have locked up the drive.

Previous Boat:
1995 Stratos 175 FS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:13 pm 

duanehett wrote:
One thing I don't understand is why the engine would not start, unless the drive shaft was locked up. If you have a SX drive the shifting is in the upper unit and if in neutral the boat would have started. A Mercruiser shifts in the lower unit so I guess it could have locked up the drive.

Yes, so the upper unit gears seized up. Further proof that the marina did not put any oil back in the drive. It's virtually impossible for all the oil to go out the prop shaft seal and get replaced by water in just minutes.

I hope to hear a follow-up from the OP. He has only made 2 posts so far.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:47 am 
Tadpole

Happy Spring everyone and thanks again for all the feedback last summer.

I ended up talking to the mechanic at Skipper Buds in Volo, IL and he was great. Very knowledgeable and great to work with. He ended up replacing the clutch, most gears and bushings, cleaned everything up and the total cost was $4,000.00. I brought it to my insurance company and they were required to perform and investigation even though it was not covered. Their investigation concluded that the lube was drained and not filled after inspecting the seals. I decided to let it go rather than spend another $4k getting attorneys involved. Big learning lesson for sure.

Here is to hoping nobody else goes through this mess and happy boating!

Scott

Scott

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:51 am 
Tadpole

TX H210SS wrote:
I agree....in the absence of shaft damage or impact...seal failure didn't cause that in such a short time. Take photos of where you stored it...get the documents for service...and photos of the seals.

If you can find out their insurance company then file claim on shop insurance, not your insurance..they should have E&O <errors and omissions> coverage. If the shop is certified Volvo/Penta then call your local service rep....VP may apply presure..forget attorney cuz it will cost you more, but file small claims suit and prove it up with documentation and other mechanics professional opinions. You just need to prove up over 51%.

That's BS...them saying it isn't on them doesn't mean it will not be on them.

------I never thought about trying to file something with the shop insurance. No idea how to go about that. I doubt the owner would volunteer that information.------

Scott

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:49 am 
Dolphin

One way to get the shop to respond is to file suit in small claims or have an attorney send a letter of demand. Once they receive such notice, I'm sure their next call will be to their insurance agent. Personally, I think $4K is worth spending a bit more time and money in order to have the guilty party pay up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:53 pm 

Agreed Id at least take em to small claims.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II