www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:37 pm 
email admin your custom rank

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... ?docId=833

Take a look at this from Teleflex, it seems to cover both the gauge and sending unit....

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... ments(v4_0)Tech_Reference.pdf

The second link is the whole PDF file that covers other gauges...

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:19 pm 
Shark

Yep, that's exactly how I tested it. With ignition "on" ground connected, and removal of "Sender" wire..the gauge dropped to below empty. When connected back up to FULL. Gotta be the sender, as gauge works.

Lou..I gotta tell you.....I think I hate working on boats! LOL, I mean, I can even figure cars out, but this boat is driving me nuts!! I took another video of the "tachometer/rpms". I even went out and purchased a GOOD voltmeter that also measure's Engine Dwell and RPMS. As you'll see in the video. I adjusted the throttle cable idle screw down until the BOATS tach read 600rpms. However, the voltmeter was continually reading HIGHER. When I had the boats tach at 1000rpm, the Voltmeter would read 2800rpm. When I finally got the boats tach reading 600rpm, the voltmeter would read from 800-1000rpm..I will say this, the ESA did NOT engage when I shifted into forward or into reverse, so I assume I am CLOSE.

Lastly, the OIL change.......as you know I sucked all the old oil out, and today I installed a new oil filter, and put in 4 quarts of oil, as per what your manual said, and MY manual said too. I ran it to adjust the RPM's and also to fog the engine today. After I shut it down, I let it set about 20 minutes for the oil to settle back in the bottom of the engine. Dipstick said to "add one quart"..so I did..NOW, there is 5 quarts in the engine, and it now reads "FULL"...WTH??? I just don't get it, all literature says 4 quarts..the boat now has 5..AND...GET THIS......I took the empty 5 quart oil container to put my OLD oil in out of the pump can, and there was 6 quarts of old oil that I pumped out.

Just when I think I have a grasp on my boat, I get differing tach readings, a manual that says 4 quarts, a dipstick that says full at 5 quarts, and then the professional marine shop that did my last oil change had 6 quarts in it. I just don't get it. :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:24 pm 
Shark

here is another video of my tach/rpms. I did get the idle set to 600rpm on my BOAT tachometer. the digital readout was still moving around from 800-1000rpm.

https://youtu.be/C3-Udlc0ixs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:36 pm 

I think your tach meter is hooked up wrong or it cant read propetly with the spark plug wire hook up. Try hooking the red lead from the meter to the - terminal on your ignition coil and the black lead from the meter to a ground. That is how you usually hook up one of those meters.
5 qts eh? My 4.3 takes about 4.
Back to the gas gauge are you sure that the sending unit is grounded? If it's not grounded it will not work. Sometimes it's grounded to the tank but the tank must be grounded for safety reasons (I think it's a green wire).
Before replacing the sending unit hook up an ohm meter to it and check it as described in the link. They rarely go bad. If it tests good with the ohm meter the problem is in your wiring.
The non working gas gauge could be a blessing in disguise if it's due to a faulty ground for the gas tank.

2008 Walker Bay 8

Last edited by LouC on Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:42 pm 
Shark

I'll try that with the volt meter...so red to the ignition coil, and black to ground.

I am lifting up the floor access to the gas tank, to check the wiring and ground on the sending unit next. I just did the "gauge" test to verify that the gauge works. Tomorrow I'll have access to the top of the sending unit, and it's wiring.

YEP...5 quarts.....just don't understand! :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:01 pm 

Was the boat level when you drained and filled it? They could have used a slightly different style oil pan that's a bit bigger. Don't think it's a problem.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:05 pm 
Shark

yep...I had a level actually on the top of my engine to make sure engine was level before doing the oil change. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:26 pm 
Shark

This is a pretty good diagram of my electronic ignition setup. Where would I connect a multimeter tach wire to get rpms?

any thoughts?

Image[/URL]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:02 pm 

I'd try to get the rest of the wiring diagram and find out which of the wires coming out of the ignition coil go to the dashboard tach...

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:46 pm 
Shark

found it...although this is mercruiser 3.0...they are the same aren't they? Looks like it's a GREY (GRY 2) wire, that goes to the dash tach. Coming off the Electronic Ignition. Now, hoping I can find that Grey wire.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:55 am 

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/omc-p ... ition+Coil

Here's what your system looks like, it could be the same system, not 100% sure, but hopefully its wired the same. I'd see if I can get a link to an OMC shop manual (they are out there but you have to search around) that shows how to hook up a tach to these systems. There are Merc manuals on line too that might be easier to find and give the same information.

Getting the idle right is very important in getting these to shift right. If its still stiff after that then there are other causes, one is the transom shift cable itself, replacing that is not what I'd call an easy job because you also have to learn how to adjust it and have the 3 tools designed to make it more or less fool proof. You could pull the drive off and check to see if there are dried up water deposits behind the bell crank in the pivot housing. The newer models had an external grease fitting, if yours has this I'd grease the heck out of it before removing the drive and see if that makes it better. Keep in mind that these boats are now a quarter of a century old and they will need attention in many areas.
If I had that boat and was going to keep it a while the first thing I'd do after these repairs is rip up all that rot causing carpet, and re-glass the deck and have it gel coated in non skid gelcoat. If you're in a damp climate like we are that's the only way to keep one of these older boats from rotting. Imagine if you put a wood deck on the back of your house and then put indoor outdoor carpet on it. How long would it last? Maybe 5 years.

The outside gel coat looks very good for the age of the boat.
Carpet does NOT belong in any open boat with plywood cored decks. Remember its not salt water (that I deal with) that causes wood rot. Its rain water and fresh water that does all that bad stuff. Because the micro organisms that eat wood can't live in most salt water. Salt water rots manifolds and other metals but I'd rather replace manifolds every 7-8 years than ever replace a deck again.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:29 pm 
Shark

Lou

well, the sad reality is, I am most likely going to put it up for sale this spring, to get a newer, bigger, Four Winns. I do love four winns.

I have put alot of blood, sweat and money into this boat already. But you are right it's in great shape. The Gel Coat is damn near perfect. The reason I haven' touched the floor inside, is because it's ROCK SOLID. No soft spots, no rips in the carpet, its a solid floor. I just put in new jump seats, and did some reupholstery work.

The engine was new about 6 years ago to the tune of about $4,000 installed, just installed a newly rebuilt complete outdrive that cost me close to $2,000. So the internals are damn near new. That's already $6,000 +

I just want to get the gauges all working, and then I am going to clean it up for winter, then this spring put her up for sale here and on craigslist. I HOPE to get at least $4,000 for it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:35 am 

Ah well then you want to just do what needs fixing but you don't have to go crazy with it. Next step up a nice 200 or 210 Horizon....
The 20-22 size will make a huge difference in the sea worthiness and feeling of safety on the water.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:43 pm 
Shark

Yeah...I'm kind of looking at the bigger picture. We've had this 170 freedom since 2001, like I said, new motor, new outdrive, some new seats, etc etc. It's been a good boat for us, but I feel the need to sell, and get something a little bigger, newer, more powerful.

NOW...if you ask my wife, she's of the mindest, "We stuck all this money in it" we may as well keep it and run it.

I don't know which way is right, but I think a bigger, more powerful boat would be much better for us. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:12 pm 

It really depends on your use patterns. The boat has had so much done to it that its in much better shape than most used boats that are older than lets say about 5 years. And a small boat like that is cheap to run, cheap to store, easy to tow etc. Now if it feels too small every time you take it out then that's telling you it's time to upgrade. I thought of upgrading from the 20' H-200 to a 23' Steigercraft fishing boat, a really seaworthy craft that would have been much safer than the H-200 out in LI Sound and any kind of rough water. But I'd had to store it at the marina and that gets expensive around here. So I wound up keeping this boat because I did not go out in the Sound that much and felt that the benefits of the smaller boat outweighed the drawbacks.

2008 Walker Bay 8

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next