www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:21 pm 
Goldfish

Try not to laugh, but I can't seem to get the spark arrestors of my twin FI 5,7 GSI motors (hope i got the letters right--the base 300 hp FI motors. The issue is there is so little clearance between the top of the spark arrestor once I remove the plastic cover, that they just won't come off up and over the stud for the wingnut--it hits the underside of the cockpit sole
Don't want to try the just "pull harder" deal and break something. I noticed there's slots cut in the forward portion of the base of the arrestor so tried bending them up, but still wouldn't quite clear it. Tried rotating it too--no dice. I know it's been done by others, but HOW?
Yes, I'm pretty mechanically inclined and this is likely so simple I'm going to have a "duh" moment.

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:50 am 
Shark

Make sure you really want to take it off, it sucks a big one. The entire fuel injection module needs to be removed or slid backwards to get the arrestor off. I had to take the fuel injection apart to get mine off. The entire design is ridiculous. First step is to remove the throttle cable from the injector. Next, if you lift up the flame arrestor, you'll see 3 bolts, can't remember the size. They need to be removed, but DO NOT drop them down into the intake. Place the arrestor back down in it's normal place. The base of the injector has 4 bolts that hold it in place. You can only see 3 of them. If you lift up the top half of the injector that you just unbolted, you will find the 4th. All 4 of these bolts need to come off. Next you need to remove the fuel lines in the back of the fuel injection. You should now be able to slide the entire injection module back enough to pull the flame arrestor off. Fun right!
Good Luck,

Nashville, TN
Current
04 Hustler Cheetah
06 Seadoo sportster 150
Past
06 378 vista
328 vista
240 horizon
21' glastron
20' celebrity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:37 am 
Goldfish

You have GOT to be kidding? I think I'll try calling the dealer who sold it to the prior owner and see if they have any tricks up their sleeve--or another mechanic who worked on it when I bought the boat in 2013

Don't HAVE to take it off, just wanted to clean it for some PM and you KNOW I will drop a bolt or two plus a socket or so, down the intake. How did you ever figure this out when you cant even see some of the bolts?

At least now I don't feel like such a doofus!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:16 am 
email admin your custom rank

I have had mine off. I recall just swivelling the stud with the arrester on to a different position. I do recall it being difficult but they will clear

1997 225 Sundowner

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:34 am 

I remember it being a pain, they they came off without further disassembly. I seem to recall the stud rotating toward the front of the motor, but could be wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:27 am 
Goldfish

Stud rotating? I tried to move the stud with a pair of vice grips, but it seemed really tight and did not want to force it. When you rotated it or got it off, do you recall what position the vertical slots were in on the base of the arrestor? Facing forward or back or what?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:25 pm 

I think the studs normally sit to the left when looking at the stern of the boat

1997 225 Sundowner

Mike