www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:58 am 
Tadpole

Greetings!

This is (hopefully) getting to the final chapter of my stalling/backfiring engine saga...

Last year my 2004 H190, Penta 5.0GL-E was giving me troubles accelerating: when opening throttle and accelerating the boat to above +3000 rpm (approximately), the engine was hesitating, it fails to gain power, and I hear what appears to be backfiring under the hood. If I back the throttle, most of the times the engine will recover; if I stay on it - the engine dies. Given the intermittent nature of the problem and the little time I had to get out on the water (:-() this last summer, I never made real progress on the issue. However, I did make real contribution to the dealer's bank account as I paid for various diagnostics the lead me nowhere, including a new low-pressure fuel pump, etc.

Last weekend I was working on the boat, and I was having hard time keeping the engine running, even out of the water and not under load.

I disconnected the fuel/water filter from the incoming fuel line, and connected it directly to an auxiliary fuel tank. Worked like a charm: the engine was running smooth and clean. So now I know the I have a problem somewhere between the tank and the fuel filter. The usual suspect: anti-siphon valve. After wrestling with the valve through the small access hole in the floor, I could not take it off. I ended up removing the 90 deg elbow with the anti-siphon valve, hoping I'll have better success working on a bench. Long story, but the valve sheared off, and I had a long fight with gentle drilling to remove the leftover aluminium from the elbow.

Now what I have is (1) a new siphon valve ordered, and (2) the old items as the picture below shows (I will re-use the elbow).

The bottom of the elbow (right edge of the image) was connected to a plastic pipe going into in the tank. How do I access the in-tank end of it? Is there a screen filter? While I'm down there, I'd like to make sure that nothing else is restricting the fuel.

Thanks in advance!
​Zevi.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:09 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I am pretty sure your fuel pickup is sitting at the bottom of your tank.

There should be a clear fuel line pushed into the nipple on the bottom of the fitting in your photo.

Any automotive shop should have the line you need, and I am sure they will have a screen to attach to the bottom end as well.