www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Electric problems
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:29 am 
Sting Ray

Please help me find what happened.

Yesterday was planning on a nice day out with fam. Arrived at boat started to pull the cockpit cover off, turned on the batteries and 12V breaker, my daughter turned on fridge, i kicked on the blower and continued to unsnap the cover. Next thing i know there is a burning smell then i see smoke coming out of the blower vent. Yell for everyone off the boat, shut down batteries and 12V breaker. Wait a few min pop the engine hatch, but cant find where it came from.

The only two things that were on were the fridge and the blower. Thought maybe the blower gave up the ghost but when turning everything back on it was working fine. Fridge was fine, i checked all fuses and none blown, no breakers tripped.
Started to feel around for hot wires and no luck.

Only thing is that it wouldnt start, just a clicking noise like weak batteries or starter, but its been a few months since last use.

What gets energized once batteries are on and 12V is on? I would think it would be a component that is drawing would be the cause.

Anyone have any idea as to what to check?

Its a 2000 268V

Thank you for all you help.

Post subject: Re: Electric problems
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:18 pm 
Shark

I would first check all the battery connections and make sure they are clean and tight.
Next check battery voltage with a voltmeter (not the gauge).
Next check the ignition switch and make sure all connections are clean and good.
Finally, starter connections.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:42 am 
email admin your custom rank

I agree with the above, check and double check the connections to see if they are tight and properly connected (+ and -) and show no signs of melting. Check the switch as they can burn up. Inspect the batteries for any signs of leaks, melting, etc.

On my Merc 454 Mag MPI, there is a main fuse all the way down on the starter which I blew (totally my fault). Might want to see if your's has one down there too.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:59 pm 
Sting Ray

Finally got to it today. I found the staring relay, in front of throttle body, is what burnt up. I replaced both relays there. Engine won't crank. I don't even get the beep when turning the key on.
When trying to start I just get the click click click, like weak batteries or starter. I don't think it's the batteries as they were on a charger Thursday and again today for 5 hrs. I also do not see a voltage drop on the batteries when trying to start

No for giggles I tried to go directly to the starter from the batteries, but no luck.
I'm leaning towards the starter, but I not 100% convinced.

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:52 pm 

I am leaning towards the batteries being the *new* problem. Even though they were on a charger they might be dead, in need of replacement dead.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:56 am 

Sounds like a bad battery to me. Be very careful they don't explode on you when changing connections.
Check the fluid levels on the battery but I would advise to be extremely careful and wear eye protection. We had a similar issue last year and had one explode while cranking. I have a new respect for the power in those plastic boxes. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:33 am 

babbot1 wrote:
Sounds like a bad battery to me. Be very careful they don't explode on you when changing connections.
Check the fluid levels on the battery but I would advise to be extremely careful and wear eye protection. We had a similar issue last year and had one explode while cranking. I have a new respect for the power in those plastic boxes. :shock:

No doubt. If you want to see something crazy, connect two batteries the wrong way. :twisted: