www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:00 pm 
Minnow

Hey guys,

Been lurking a while. Great site with lots of info.

Purchased a new to me 1999 Sundowner 225 with VP 5.0 GI Duo Prop in June of 2015. Used it all last summer without much issue. I experienced the outdrive shaking back and forth at startup when fluid was warm. I researched quite a bit and found some posts that stated that if you start the motor with the drive all the way down it wont shake. I have subscribed to this strategy and have not experienced it since.

I know from my research on this issue that air in the lines is another possible cause. Towards the end of my summer I noticed power steering fluid in the bilge and the reservoir was low. I looked around for some leaks, even bought the brake line wrenches to tighten something (I honestly cant remember what) but never found the obvious source.

Fast forward to 2016, Bilge was cleaned out last fall, and all fluids were checked, topped off or changed at the end of the season last year. We used the boat the second time this season and went on an extended run (motored from Grand Haven, MI to Port Sheldon for those fellow Michiganders), about 10-12 miles one way. Tonight I went to the marina to clean her up and noticed quite a bit of power steering fluid in the bilge. Fluid in the pump was too low to register on the stick, but I could see some still in the reservoir. (Edit: so maybe air in the lines is still a legitimate cause for my steering shake - as it is obvious I have a leak)

So that's the long story of what brings me here tonight.

I took some photo's last fall of the transom. Let me tell you that just getting these pictures was a chore. Very little access to this area. My Sundowner has the U-shaped seating option which dosen't leave much room. I digress... back on subject. Can someone give me the quick verbal schematic of the power steering system, or even point me to a diagram. I understand their may be a fluid heat exchanger somewhere in line? Any chance that the heat exchanger is shown as either #1 or #2 in the photo below?

I need to start by tracing the lines from the power steering pump out all the through the system back to the pump return.

Thanks in advance!
Boydzz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:28 am 
email admin your custom rank

Go to http://www.volvopentastore.com/

Search up your engine by year and model number, there are diagrams for the steering system under both the engine and outdrive categories.

I will hopefully be picking my boat up in Grand Haven this weekend to take it down to Holland. Had a bad axle on the trailer when we got it out of storage. We went boating in Spring Lake over Memorial Day weekend for the first time since the boat was up there.

Previous:97 245 Sundowner 5.7GI/SX

Tow vehicle: 1986 GMC 2500 Camper Special 454/TH400

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:05 am 

When I had a PS fluid leak my dealer replaced my PS pump (didn't fix the problem) and then added a dye to the fluid to try to identify the location of the leak with a black-light (which the weren't able to find). I took it elsewhere and they found a leak in the steering ram which they replaced.

Good luck!

Erik

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:01 pm 
Minnow

Ok guys, here's todays update.

I reviewed the Volvo Penta Service manual found here: http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html
This gave a pretty good description of how the system works and how to service it.

I worked on the boat removing interior pieces for nearly 2 hours to get the photos and descriptions I will outline below. I think I have root caused the leak to the trim actuator.

I found the power steering heat exchanger. I'm certain it is item #2 in the first post pictures. I found one of the plastic clamps loose, and only slightly oily. I will replace both plastic hose clamps with stainless ones.

Made my way back to the steering actuator. Still very difficult to get at with entire interior removed. Felt around with my hand on the left end and around where the fittings enter. I tightened both fittings with a brake line wrench. They were both snug and had no signs of fluid.

It wasn't until I stuck my camera back around the motor and snapped some photos that I saw lots of evidence of fluid. See the last image below. It looks like the moving cylinder is leaking. I probably have 1/3 of a quart of fluid in the bilge afer about 5 hrs of run time.

Question: the whole actuator assembly is somewhat loose. I can wiggle it maybe an 1/8 of an inch when handling it near the fluid fittings. Is this normal? Reviewing the service manual instructions it appears that essentially two pins hold the actuator in place...it is not fastened to the hull. If this truly the case I guess I can understand the movement, but it seems odd. I have video on my phone, but have never yet dabbled in adding video online.

Lastly, I have reached out the seller of this rebuild kit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/322054127132?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

I wanted to confirm that moving cylinder seals are included in the kit.

Any advice on how to get this thing out. I think I am going to have to remove the distributer cab and maybe a riser or two to get at it. Crazy difficult placement.

An other advise? This is my first go at a steering actuator rebuild.

EDIT: Just found this link regarding the Ebay kit - Excellent info regarding this issue.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engine-r ... -leak-sx-m

Thanks,
Boydzz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:15 am 

I have the same steering setup...and yes it will be bear to remove while everything in the boat. There is a cotter pin holding a pin that attaches to the steering arm and there should be a ground strap also attached. Then there is another cotter pin holding the steering anchor bolt. Removing all of those plus the hoses should allow you to remove the setup from the transom bracket. Then you can see what you are doing and remove anything else to get it out of the boat.