www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Volvo/Penta 5.0 GL
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:56 pm 
Goldfish

Any issues I should know about this setup? I am trying to check everything before I put it in the water, but not real sure to look for.

I checked the engine oil and it is full and looks clean. But that is all I really know how to do. Still trying to figure out how to change the oil :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:54 am 
Shark

should be able to vacuum pump it out thru the dip stick??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:32 am 
Mental Floss

If you look closely at the dip stick tube you will see that it will accept a standard gardenhose end. You will need to purchase a vacumn oil changer or use a pump. I purchased a metal can with a pump that will suck the oil out after you create a vacumn in the can. There are several types out there for $30 or so. Changing the oil is quite simple.
    1. Warm the engine. You want to warm the oil so it is thinner and flows easier
    2. Shut the engine down and remove the oil cap
    3. Attach your vacumn can or pump to the oil dipstick making sure that you have a good seal
    4. Release the vacumn or start the pump. The oil should begin to flow. Continue until you have as much oil as you can out of the engine.
    5. Remove and replace the oil filter. Remember to lubricate the new oil filters gasket with a touch of new engine oil.
    6. Add new oil that meets the manufacturers specs, BUT not all the oil. When you get to the last quart add a bit and check the level. You don't want to overfill the engine oil.
    7. Once you have it full you will need to start the engine to fill the oil filter with oil. This usually drops the level by about 1/2 quart.
    8. Check the oil after you have run the the engine letting it sit a couple minutes so the oil has a chance to flow back to the oil pan. Remember, the oil level doesn't have to be to the full mark, just in the "safe" range on the dipstick. If it is, your done, otherwise add enough new oil to bring the level into the "safe" zone on the dipstick.

A another thing I like to do. I write the engine hours on the oil filter with a sharpy so there is no mistake as to when I last changed the oil.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject: Changing engine oil
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:03 pm 
Goldfish

Has anyone tried the gravity change hoses like the inboards use? It looks pretty simple, just a capped hose on the nut on the bottom of the pan. Pull it out through the drain hole and uncap the end of the hose. I see them for sale on the inboard sites, and am wondering why this wouldn't be the easiest and quickest way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:03 am 
Mental Floss

The problem is installing one if it hasn't been installed before the motor was placed in the boat. I would need Elastic Girl from the Incredibles to install one on each on my motors.

I really find it simple to use the vacumen can and dipstick. The oil is contained in a no spill container which I can easily transport to a oil disposal facility and dump.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:35 am 
Goldfish

I couldn't imagine putting anything on my oil pan. I can barely change my oil filter :? My 01 FW 190 is VERY cramped with that big a$$ 5.0 GL :P