www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:10 pm 
Starfish

I have a 99' 245 sundowner with a 5.7GSI.. I noticed when I first took it out it felt sluggish and thought it was maybe water in fuel from sitting mostly empty all winter. So I changed the water/fuel filter separator,added new fresh gas and still has the problem. It starts fine,idles fine etc. The problem comes in when I want to take off and throttle up from idle to half throttle or more,It doesnt bog or choke,or stall,,still seems smooth but just doesnt make power. It finally gets going,but its like it has to start getting the gas,then it catches up with its self and were going strong at cruising speed without problems.
I looked at the two injectors and they seem to both have a good spray pattern,,the left one at higher throttle seemed a bit different but not by a great deal,and I also checked the fuel pressure and it pretty much stayed 30psi "which I think thats what it should be right?" Every now and again if im heading out to the lake and decide to stop at a certain sport right after I been running harder side,stop and shut it off I sometimes get a touch of run on after I switch it off "maybe like a split second,if that" Maybe a leaky injector?

I tried to follow all hoses I seen on top of the engine looking for cracks,thought maybe a vacuum leak,,but I havent seen anything wrong,,Dont seem to be burning any oil,or running hot..Other that that I dont know what to check next. Anyone know of what it could be or what to check next?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:41 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Make sure the fuel tank vent is clear.
You might want to replace the anti siphon valve on the gas tank-to fuel line- connnection. Its the barbed fitting that is on the top of the tank. When they start to corrode internally they restrict fuel flow. The engine will start and idle well and will rev in neutral OK but not plane out the boat like it should. Double check the fuel pressure also. I'm not sure what it should be on the EFI engines.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:09 pm 
Starfish

I'll take a look for the vent,not sure I seen it.
But I removed the one hatch to get to the gas tank and seen the center compartment,but then I see a hatch to unscrew and said ohh good,,this should be easy! But all you can see is the main fill hose :( So I started removing all the screws,but ran out of day light. I'll give it a go tomorrow and hopefully that will fix it. Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:38 pm 
Starfish

I removed the one way valve and it was clean and the ball moved freely. I took off the vent hose and blew into it and seem to flow fine. What should I look at next?