www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Little leak in rear
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:47 pm 
Shark

Guys, got a small leak in rear of my 170 freedom. New lower unit last fall. It is leaking in just about 3-4 inches above actual drain hole, just above a metal U shaped bracket. If you can see photo above. Something I could fix? Or take to shop? Cost? Boat runs great otherwise. I get about a gallon of water in the bilge area after about 2 hours on the lake. Could repair wait until fall?

Thanks for any help

Oh I posted photos over on the four wins Facebook page, am trying to get one on here, but am in iPad and camping, so very hard.

Post subject: Re: Little leak in rear
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:00 pm 
Shark

https://goo.gl/photos/7eodhYH4Ppbk9GEE6

Hope you guys can see this photo.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:44 pm 
email admin your custom rank

You could have a leaky drive shaft bellows or the seal around the transom mount coukd be leaking. Only way to tell is to pull the drive and see if there's water in the bellows. If so replace it and check the gimble bearing & u joints. If it's not that then you have to look further. Hope it's not the transom seal

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:36 am 
Shark

Thanks Lou. I am hoping that since we just replaced the outdrive last fall, and only had it out once after that, that it's something simple like the bellows. From where I see it leaking on the inside, it doesn't appear to be coming from where the transom seal would be. It's dead center and like I said about 4 inches or so above the drain in the bottom of the boat.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:57 am 
Shark

Also, is it ok to still run her with this leak? We may have it out another 3-4 times this season yet, then I can take off the outdrive and dig into it this September

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:54 am 

I would not. Pull the drive (takes like 15 min) and check. Because if you do have water in there, your gimble bearing will get corroded and start making noise. To R&R the drive, you need to have a strong back, helper or a stand like I built out of 2x6s and later replaced with a real drive jack. I use it every year because, you are really supposed to R+R the drive every year, to lube the driveshaft splines, check and lube the gimble and u joints. Yes you can lube the gimble without removing the drive but you really should be checking for water, check the alignment and lube everything. Also if you get a leak in the input bearing seal, it will be obvious (gear oil on driveshaft). You also need to pick up a new drive to pivot housing gasket (Sierra makes a good gasket set) and OMC/BRP gasket sealer (which is actually Permatex Aviation Sealer. For the driveshaft splines, use OMC/Evinrude triple guard grease. You can get it from any Evinrude dealer or on line.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/support/te ... moval.html

http://www.crowleymarine.com/support/te ... ation.html

I just replaced both of my bellows this spring, its not a hard job, but you have to be careful to make sure that the end by the gimble housing is properly seated and the clamp is in the right spot. I had my mechanic do the last one back in '05, that one lasted till now, it was still OK really just getting a few tiny cracks between the folds, so it was time to replace it.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:38 pm 
Shark

Ok, well since I am up in vacation, I took it in to my local, trusted shop that did my outdrive last year. They said if it's a bellow, I may as well replace them all, as they come in a complete kit. What's all in the kit? And what's the going price? They said shop hours would be about 4.5

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:59 pm 

Well
The only one you have to replace is the drive shaft bellows; for the exhaust bellows if it has cracks it really does not matter because it does not have to be water tight. The OE bellow is about $70, tbe gasket set about $10; no way it took me 4 hrs to R+R drive and replace bellow. 2 hrs tops.
They may be thinking of a Merc Alpha which it more difficult to do and has an additional bellow (shift cable) . On the Cobra this is inside the boat and does not have to be replaced until you do the shift cable.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:38 pm 
Shark

Well if it happens to be the transom seal, I don't think I'll stick that kind of money into this old boat. We'll see. Could they seal it up with a sealer of some type, or tighten the transom bolts down? Then I'll most likely trade her off. Hate to, as I love this old girl, and she's given me really very few problems. I am hoping it's just bellows.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:13 pm 

Using sealer is not likely to work. If the transom nuts are loose, that can work but the bigger issue can be if the transom wood core is getting soft, and that is what caused the leak. Someone on here just had that fixed this year, it is a big job. Hopefully its just the driveshaft bellows.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:55 am 

On my '95 190 Horizon that leak was from the gasket between the transom and the transom shield bracket. If yours has been leaking, you may already have water in the wood core of the transom. Check the bolts to make sure they are tight. I have seen where a bead of 3M 5200 or possibly a silicone sealant around the transom shield against the transom would stop the leak, at least temporarily. Be sure to cover the joint completely all the way around. You may have an anode on the bottom center of the transom shield that would need to be removed to apply sealant, then reinstalled. It might be worth a try to enable a few days of boating if the boat is kept on a trailer. Replacing that gasket usually means removing the outdrive, removing the engine, and removing the rear engine mount and transom shield. It might be something to leave for off-season, if possible.

I agree with Lou that a leak should be addressed. I am not quite as sure that it is the driveshaft bellows, but it is a good idea to check that.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:33 am 
Shark

Mine hasn't been leaking...until this last week when we had it out on the water for the first time this season. It's never had water in the bilge before

So, stupid question..but what part is the "transom shield" is it the large black "collar" that says OMC on top, and basically touches the fiberglass wall of the rear of the boat? Do I just apply sealant between this "shield" and the fiberglass hull wall?

I have the boat home, and am going to pull the drive off later this week, and see what's what.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:55 am 

Easy enough to find out if it's the transom seal. It will leak both ways. Fill the bilge with water and jack the front of the trailer up. Don't put enough to get electrical components wet, but it will leak out the back.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:26 pm 
Shark

Thanks guys,

I did the work this morning...and it's transom seal :twisted:

called up my buddy at the shop that does my work...they could do a new seal, parts, labor for $1300 OUCH! they said if there was any wood rot that would do a full replace of wood and re-glass for $2200 if I wanted to go "all new" basically.

So.......my dilema....26 year old "hull" with a 2008 engine, and a 2014 outdrive. Do I get the work done, or caulk around the transom mount plate, tighten the transom mount bolts, and sell it "as is" and look for a different boat, or stick more money into it.

Any thoughts??

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:28 pm 
Shark

oh, and is this the transom mount plate? Basically I'd be "sealing" around the outer edge of this piece that says "OMC" ?????