www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:36 am 
Tadpole

I just got a new to me boat, a 2004 288 with twin 5.0 GX-I's. I am having an issue with my port engine where it will start and seem to run good although does seem to drag a few hundred rpms behind the starboard engine when getting up on plane. Then it still runs sounds good although still seems to need slight more throttle than other engine to hold same rpm. After about 5-10 minutes the port engine bogs down to 3000 rpm, and can't run any higher, more throttle just creates more bog. Less throttle and it will run fine at around 3000, but still slightly flutter up and down. It makes the sound of a carbed engine choking out. I have been through three tanks of gas (I had a long trip from NJ to CT). I am currently running gas with Startron to see if it helps, but not yet. Also during the long trip my fuel mileage was terrible, but Im guessing that was from the way the engine was running. Also could be unrelated but during a long run the gas vapor detector was going off. I pulled the fuel filter, emptied, didn't look bad. I am going to replace both filters Saturday when I get them just to rule that out. Has anyone else had this issue, any ideas???????? Both engines do have new caps and rotors and starboard has new plugs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:09 am 
email admin your custom rank

Could be high pressure side of fuel pump clogged or failing. Could be sucking the fuel line closed. I think I would just start swapping parts on the motors until you confirmed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:57 am 

Considering the year & that it is a Volvo the fuel pump would seem suspect.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:56 pm 
Tadpole

I replaced the fuel filter along with being a 1/4 of the way through a tank with startron and that seems to have helped A LOT. I can now get the engine to about 4000 rpms, still a little short of where it should be. The port engine is also still a little sluggish with the throttle response and seems to lag a little when getting on plane as compared to the starboard engine. I am also going to pull the fuel pressure regulator and replace the screens with c-clips as recommended by Volvo in a bulletin released in 2011 to see if that will get me where I need to be.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:13 am 
Tadpole

I opened up the fuel pressure regulators and found them to be extremely clogged with a black substance. After cleaning them off completely I reassembled. What a difference!!!! It was like a whole new boat, I now had both engines running responsive and pulling equally up onto plane and pulling 4500-4600 rpms at WOT. Anyone experiencing loss of power, poor gas mileage should check those screens!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:21 am 
230 Mike

Those are the regulator filters and Volvo has a service bulletin out that specifies removing them entirely, replacing them with a special clip.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:46 am 

230 Mike wrote:
Those are the regulator filters and Volvo has a service bulletin out that specifies removing them entirely, replacing them with a special clip.

I just replaced my screen with the clip tonight. Same issue, screen was covered in black specs. Last trip out the fuel pump started whining pretty loudly. Tonight I put the clip in and also put in a new anti-siphon valve for good measure. Took the boat down to a near by ramp and it started right up and all was quite. I'll be on the water this weekend and hopefully it continues to run well and quiet.