www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:03 am 
Dolphin

Hello,

are there any doubts by using amsoil synthetic gear lube (75W90) instead of Volvo Penta branded?
The background is, that I can get it easier than all the others in my surrounding.

It would be nice, if someone can tell me his experiences.

Thanks a lot in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:34 am 
email admin your custom rank

Try asking over at either
http://www.thehulltruth or
http://www.iboats (forums) in the engine forums there is a specific Volvo Penta I/O forum where people may have tried this. Those 2 are much more active forums than here with a lot of information.

As for me I use the Merc High Performance gear lube because it is easier to find than the OMC Hi Vis lube originally specified. Using it over 10 years with no problems. I also use the Merc 25/40 motor oil....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:15 am 

ach1982 wrote:
Hello,

are there any doubts by using amsoil synthetic gear lube (75W90) instead of Volvo Penta branded?
The background is, that I can get it easier than all the others in my surrounding.

It would be nice, if someone can tell me his experiences.

Thanks a lot in advance.

It's ok to use
Volvo doesn't make it. it's just re-branded for them.
I use Mobile 1 because it's the most available for me

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:46 pm 

I think at one time 230 Mike had posted a pic of a bottle of Volvo brand motor oil and the name on it clearly visible was Amsoil but I have no idea if they still make their motor oil or if they ever made their drive oil.
The only hesitation I might have here is that the engagement of a cone clutch is different than a dog clutch and so the frictional characteristics of the oil might make a difference.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:43 pm 
230 Mike

Amsoil no longer makes VP's engine oil; that change happened at the same time VP changed their long-standing oil recommendation - not by coincidence, I'm sure (I'm not criticizing Amsoil, I just think the change was related to Amsoil no longer making the oil).

I don't know who makes VP's gear lube, but I kind of doubt that it's Amsoil. When Amsoil made VP's oil, the VP-labeled bottle (the bottle itself) was identical to Amsoil's own labeled bottles (a distinctive, square, angular shaped bottle). The VP gear oil on the other hand, comes in a bottle that bears no resemblance to anything packaged by Amsoil as far as I know. That doesn't mean it's not made by Amsoil, but in my mind it makes it less likely.

As Lou pointed out, friction modifiers may be critical in this application and for that reason I'll continue using the VP product as long as they keep producing it.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:07 pm 

Really the only way to answer this question is to have virgin oil samples analyzed by a lab to see if there are differences and that would only show things they test for. The chemical differences if any between the different gear lubes may not be something that would show up. So I guess its easiest to keep using the Volvo stuff, but because Merc recommends the High Performance (bluish/green) gear oil for Bravos, and they use cone clutch shifting too, it may be fine. While I would not try just any hypoid gear oil, I might use the Merc oil in a pinch in a Volvo drive.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:16 pm 

LouC wrote:
Really the only way to answer this question is to have virgin oil samples analyzed by a lab to see if there are differences and that would only show things they test for. The chemical differences if any between the different gear lubes may not be something that would show up. So I guess its easiest to keep using the Volvo stuff, but because Merc recommends the High Performance (bluish/green) gear oil for Bravos, and they use cone clutch shifting too, it may be fine. While I would not try just any hypoid gear oil, I might use the Merc oil in a pinch in a Volvo drive.

Come on Lou
synthetic gear lube (75W90) regardless of who makes it it is what it is.
Amsoil synthetic gear lube (75W90) is the same no matter who makes it.
Forget about Mercs were talking about Volvo's

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:53 pm 
230 Mike

Well, that's like saying all synthetic transmission fluid or all synthetic rear-end lube is the same, which is definitely not the case.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:47 am 
Dolphin

Hi,
I asked Amsoil directly about the friction modifiers in their gear lube.
The answer is, that their oil doesn't contain any friction modifiers and they recommend it for the volvo drives.

Next to the Amsoil lube, I can get the sierra full synth gear lube too. This is what I filled in last year.
But it is more expensive. For the other oils e.g. Quicksilver and Volvo I have to spend more than two hours in the car.

But I think, I'll avoid experiemts and I am going for the Sierra Oil. It works fine, no noises, smooth run and they recommend it for Volvo/OMC SX especially.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:17 pm 

230 Mike wrote:
Well, that's like saying all synthetic transmission fluid or all synthetic rear-end lube is the same, which is definitely not the case.

That's why Volvo specifies GL5 rated. Doesn't make a diff of who or what brand
The way it was explained to me is the only diff between GL4 and 5 was the 5 will eat yellow brass
I think all GL-5's are now MT-1 rated and should not eat yellow metals.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:33 pm 

I get Amsoil at cost, and have since ~2004, so with that being said, I have always and only used Amsoil Marine Gear Lube in my outdrives because why not? I get it cheaper/same price as Mobil 1 or any other synthetic gear lube. Ive always owned boats with OMC, or Volvo Penta outdrives.

I also have never had any problems with my outdrives, ever in all these years. I credit that to maintenance and VP quality.

379 hours as of 8/8/21

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:26 am 
Dolphin

Hello,
thanks a lot for your response and telling your experience.
I didn't order yet, but I just want to make sure, that I get the right stuff for my boat.
Here in germany everything is a bit more expensive, because every boatstuff has to be imported.
So I figured out, that I can get Amsoil and Sierra for round about half of the price of VP or Quicksilver / Merc.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:21 pm 

As long as it's a quality GL5 rated (rated for differentials - much higher loads) product, you'll be fine.
The shear stability of a full synthetic is an advantage, but even a mineral should easily last a season.
Some marine oil companies mention they have an additive that will assist in emulsifying water if it gets in there.
I don't see this additive being of any 'real world' use - Just change it every season to inspect, regardless of hours.