www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:56 am 
Tadpole

Like the title says, went out after purchasing brand new RS 200 with a merc cruiser 5.7l ran the boat in the lake for 10 minutes and the engine died. Was running about 3000 rpm at the time. Engine wouldn't fire back up, been at the dealer for over two weeks now with no luck. Getting fed up as they have said they have changed this and that but still nothing. Looking at trying to escalate this to either four wins or merc. What else can I do suggestions?????
I know shit happens but very frustrated right now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:04 am 
email admin your custom rank

Think i'd reach out to Four Winns customer service & see if they could help.

2 weeks seems crazy on a brand new boat.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:37 pm 

Spark, fuel or air.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:58 pm 

When you turn the key, what does it do and what doesn't it do? Does it turn over? Do the gauges turn on? Does the blower work? Etc.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:05 pm 
Tadpole

Engine cranks over, gauges respond, seems like it wants to fire but no luck.
Just got off the phone with dealer again, claiming distributor is on order. Although previous calls said they checked this. They have told me ecm was on order, but then another call said they swapped with another boat that's not it. Crank sensor on order, then changed no luck. claimed he was gonna talk to his director and call me back - no return call. today gonna phone merc and talk to their rep not gonna hold my breath.

Im at the point give me my money back, or a new boat, ya I know like that is gonna happen. Problem also is the boat is 4 1/2 hrs away from where I live so its not like I can go marching in there and demand some answers.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:50 am 

Gotta love professional mechanics who just throw parts at things rather than testing them. The Mercruiser shop manual for your engine has detailed testing procedures and troubleshooting for different parts and issues. I have a PDF copy for your engine, send me a private message if you want it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:11 am 
230 Mike

Anyone check the lanyard kill switch?

Before anyone says it - I've seen credible people report that with the lanyard disengaged, their boat won't crank, and other credible people say theirs cranks but won't fire.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:01 am 
Tadpole

I had tested the functionality of it prior to departure that initial outing, but once the engine died I did not do any other official testing of it. I did play with the switch a few times as we were floating around to see if that was a possible issue. But never got into it deep as in loose wires or anything else. I would hope the shop has at least looked at this possibility and has done a much more complete read professional, inspection of this switch than my simple wiggle and reset approach.
I will phone them again today and point blank ask them because this would drive me nuts if this was the reason and it has never been checked.

I'm going to flip if this is what it was, so simple it makes sense as I have heard of this being an issue on other boats.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:04 pm 

Not trying to play mechanic, but how did it die? Did it start sputtering and die as though starving for fuel.....or....did it go from on to off sudden?

I don't have the Merc and I have the 2008 model but the motor does turn over with emergency switch tripped...that's how I spin water out of pumps during winterization.

I assume all fuses were checked too. Hope they get you back on water soon and know that has to be frustrating.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi