www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oil Drain Pump??
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:30 pm 
Sting Ray

Hi,
:( I have a Marina Pro oil changer in which I work my *** off with. Marina Pro states 45 to 50 pumps to extract the oil. This is true, but I have to repeat that step at least 8 times to extract all the oil. This accounts for approx. 400 strokes. I'm about to have a stroke. Yes, the oil is warm and the drain hose is inserted properly all the way to the bottom of the oil pan.
:roll: Ok, I'm all done crying. I have the Volvo Penta 5.7 GXI DP which has a garden type hose male fitting on the top of the dip stick tube. The pump mentioned above only uses a hose (without) using a garden type hose fitting.
I'm looking for a good pump that will adapt to the garden type hose fitting on my dip stick tube. Does anyone have any good suggestions for this type of pump? I may try to adapt a female type fitting onto my hose, therefore eliminating any possibility of suction loss through the dip stick tube. It's hard to believe that I am losing suction due to the hose being immersed in the oil.
:lol: Your help and suggestions would be most appreciated. Thank you, Ray

Post subject: Re: Oil Drain Pump??
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:11 pm 
230 Mike

I have one of these. I haven't used it yet, but I've always heard good things about them.

http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/produc ... rod=259057

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:55 pm 
Dolphin

I switched to the Tempo oil pump that Mike pictured two seasons ago. What a nice pump! Only 4-5 pumps and it drains everything. The only thing I don't like about it is the amount of oil it holds,around 4.5 qts. It's no big deal, You just have to stop the flow of oil by breaking the vacuum and empty the oil and then finish removing the oil. I have used other pumps but this design is light years better. No mess whatsoever. And yes it connects to the fitting on the dip tube. You should be able to buy it for around $50. In IMHO it's worth every penny.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:11 am 
Sting Ray

:lol: Hi, Thanks for the help! I will look up the Tempo oil pump and check it out. Fred, does it look like Mikes in the previous reply? Thanks again, Ray

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:13 pm 
Dolphin

Yes, it's the same one pictured by Mike(Thanks to W. as well) . I tried checking online at marine store and was told by West Marine that Tempo Company was sold to Moeller. It' looks like the same exact pump. I paid around $50 for mine on sale in 2006. Below is a link to West Marine web-site listing the pump.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... assNum=170