www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 328 Vista starting issue
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:10 pm 
Goldfish

Hello folks. new guy here. Currently have a Sea Ray Sundancer but thinking about moving up to a bigger boat. Heard about a 2001-2003ish 328 Vista that has been sitting about 3-4 years. Couple is going through a divorce so not sure what exactly is going on. Anyway, a friend at the marina looked at it before buying his current boat and said it was clean but the situation was ugly and said he got tired of dealing with the owners. Another guy looked at it and the engines wouldn't run. If he dumped gas into the throttle bodies it would run. His initial thought was that the fuel pumps were bad. I thought it would be odd if both were bad at the same time? In the end they couldn't agree on a price so he walked away. I asked if it was maybe a fuse or relay and he said he had no idea and said it may even be bad gas?

I guess they wanted $35k but the last looker was only willing to pay $30k.

The trailer is in their back yard on the trailer. any thoughts on what the issue might be or possibilities? I know you can't diagnose over the internet but wondering what the possibilities may be? Is it worth looking into or walk away? I guess the original owner was meticulous with it and the current owners hardly ever used it.

Thoughts? Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:31 am 
email admin your custom rank

If the engines are Volvos, both fuel pumps could be fouled with interior paint. This is a common issue with Volvo fuel pumps. I've never had the issue where the engines wouldn't start at all with paint in the fuel pumps, typically they idle ok but once a load is applied the engines crap out. But if the paint has fouled the screens really bad I suppose the engines might not start.

The guy in video explains the Volvo paint issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=surQ8gGa2u4&app=desktop

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:25 pm 
Goldfish

Thanks. Pretty sure they are volvos. I don't know much about it yet but talked to a couple people at out marina tonight that said they had considered buying it too. I will post an update when I get one. I'm not in a hurry to move on thid, if i even will.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:43 am 
Goldfish

Talked to the friend at the marina last night. he was at that boat this week to work on it. the one engine will start but he said you can see the fuel spitting inconsistently into the engine. the other engine won't start unless you pour fuel into it. he is pretty sure it is paint in the fuel pumps. he also said it needs a sea water pump? about $400? my concern is buying a boat that 1) doesn't currently run 2) even if these small fixes get it running how much more will it need? 3) how to go about buying a boat that needs repairs and how to handle the survey and sea trial with a non-running boat?

the boat also has a 3 year old load rite trailer that was about $8000. i guess they were offered $40k and the wife wanted to sell but the husband refused. The wife is paying for all work done currently and it is at her house. the boat will now need winterizd if she doesn't sell it before winter. friend says to maybe offer $30k and see what they say. oh, and the cockpit cover has a few tears in it but the camper top is supposed to be in pretty good shape. the interior is good but needs cleaned.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:13 am 

To fully solve my paint problems I had to pull all the injectors and have them cleaned and tested ($25 per injector). The fuel pressure regulator screen should also inspected. The water pump can be rebuilt for $150.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Penta-REB ... 1149802180

https://www.injector.com/cart/pc/viewCa ... ategory=30

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:17 pm 
Goldfish

Went and looked at it yesterday. Very BIG. We were thinking more like 29-30' but figured this is only a few feet bigger...lol. It needs some serious TLC too. Been sitting under a tree for 3 or 4 years and is pretty dirty and faded. There are a few pretty big scrapes along the keel near the front and one has what looks like bondo smeared over the length of it. Doubt it is deep enough that any fiberglass was damaged but still another strike against this boat. The canvas is all original and the front part of the enclosure needs replaced. At 17 years old I figure the whole thing would probably be replaced. In the end looks like at least $10k in cleanup/repairs and whatever it costs to get it running. And the refrigerator isn't working. We still have no idea whether the generator or AC work after sitting this long. Think it is best for me to pass on this one. Too many unknowns and at this point I am thinking it is only worth about $25k tops in the current condition. She told me they had it sold at $40k in a running state but the buyers backed out.

Think I will keep my eyes open for something closer to 29-30'. If I knew I could afford the 328 I might consider it but too many unknowns and I know the fuel bill would be s shocker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:33 pm 
Livin' the Dream

with a used boat, imo, the way they care for the visible parts, says a lot about the way they care for the hidden parts.

good luck on your search, by the description, i would walk away too

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:08 am 
Goldfish

Revisiting this...lol. The boat was very well taken care of while it was being used but since the divorce started it has been sitting on the trailer untouched for 3 or 4 years.

What is a worst case scenario for the fuel issue? We know the engines start and run with fuel poured into the throttle bodies so it is fuel related. I have heard of the paint issue extending to injectors, etc. $2000 worst case? Or likely worst case...lol? I know worst case would be both engines and whole fuel system need replaced but that isn't likely.

What got me thinking again is the I was researching fuel burn and according to FW the 298 and 328 with the same engine sburn the same rate up to 4000 RPM? Seems odd but that is what they list.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:57 am 

I would not touch it. Too many unknowns and did you check to see if this boat has the now discontinued Ocean Series (composite plastic) outdrives? That would make it worth to me, no more than 10 grand because it will cost close to 15 grand to replace those with conventional outdrives that you can depend on to work.
Those situations are always sketchy because the people involved may be working against each other and you get stuck with their problems. No thanks!
3/4 years untouched can include someone not feeling like paying for winterization, removing drives and doing maintenance etc. Hull damage faded oxidized gelcoat, its all bad.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:49 pm 
Goldfish

Not sure about the drives. They say DP on them and I think it says dual-prop. They are dual prop. It looks like bare aluminum though. Looks like all the paint is gone off of them.