www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help! I'm stuck in gear
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:07 pm 
Tadpole

2000 Sundowner 215, 5.0 Gi, Volvo SX drive.
After spending the day on the water, I come into the marina and discover that I can't shift into neutral! After trying a few times I had to kill the engine and paddle into an empty slip. After we got situated, I tried again for a while to get it out of gear but had to give up for the day because of losing daylight and the mosquitos coming out.... so is this a common issue? Or how can I diagnose if it's the shifter itself, the cable, or a mechanism in the outdrive?
Thanks for any suggestions!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:37 am 
email admin your custom rank

This happened to me early this season as I was setting the anchor... scared the heck out of us until I realized one drive was not shifting to nuteral.

My issue was a retaining clip at the drive had come loose... 1/2 hour swim in cold water solved it.

Your issue will be at your shifter or drive. Not sure what shifter you have so can't comment on what to look for.

At the drive your shift cable comes through the transom and into the back of the drive on the starboard side. The outter casing of the cable does not enter the drive and gets secured by a retaining clip. If this clip is not in place the cable will not work properly. If you feel around and find this cable, it should not move when you try to wiggle it.

Once the cable passes into the drive it connects to the shift lever with a cotter pin. If it's there and connected it should work. You can grab the shift lever and move in and out of gear at the drive to confirm no issues.

To see the shift lever at the drive remove the large plastic cap on the drive.... the one with the SX decal and secured by 3 screws.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:51 am 
email admin your custom rank

Check both ends of the shift cable to verify that the moving part of the cable and the cable housing are properly attached. On my 268 the cable housing had come loose and disconnected from the shifter. I would say to start at the shifter and verify that both the cable and the cable housing are attached. Then check the outdrive, as Alex described.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:56 am 
Tadpole

Thanks for the help guys! I will be looking into it today. Wish me luck!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:04 pm 
Tadpole

All fixed! What actually happened was the panel that the shifter is mounted on had actually pulled away from its mounting point. That allowed the cable to rub and the shifter cable mounting bolt to jam on the fibreglass frame for the upgolstery panel. It was a little tricky to pry it back into place, as I didn't want to damage anything... but it's functioning now. However, it is tight putting it into reverse now, so I think the cable may have bent. I'll have to look into this next, but it is useable as is.
Thanks again for the suggestions!!