www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bellows replacement
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:21 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I have my lower unit removed and was planning to replace the upper bellows. I have the new bellows and it came with instructions for installation however I find them somewhat confusing. The instructions show removing two screws on the side but when I got to the boat those appear to just be a pivot bearing. I'm thinking the top two bolts are what need removed to access the bellows however I can find no instructions on this that indicate that is what should be done. The trip sender position switch was on the starboard side and I removed it but can't see a way to remove that. Wondering if anyone has replaced the bellows on a DPS-A lower unit.

Post subject: Re: Bellows replacement
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:10 pm 

http://162.144.28.33/lib/library.html#

SX-A DPS-A
Start on page 157.
replace the o-rings on the dipstick Part# (O-Ring 3852045 ) -overfill plug part # (O-Ring 3855081) and fill plug.Part# (O-Ring 3855081)
replace the cooling/exhaust passage seal. part# (Gasket 3889788)
Input shaft o-rings (2)3852565

http://volvopentastore.com./

I did mine without removing the gimble ring but it was tight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:34 am 

Those recessed hex bolts on each side of the pivot housing are what you need to remove. If this is the first time doing it, I think you will find it easier to remove to pivot housing to make sure the driveshaft bellows is properly seated on the gimble housing flange. On the older SX models there is a groove in that flange, and a rib on the sealing surface of the drive bellows. This rib must fit into that groove. Not sure if the newer SX-A is the same in this regard.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:45 pm 

LouC wrote:
Those recessed hex bolts on each side of the pivot housing are what you need to remove. If this is the first time doing it, I think you will find it easier to remove to pivot housing to make sure the driveshaft bellows is properly seated on the gimble housing flange. On the older SX models there is a groove in that flange, and a rib on the sealing surface of the drive bellows. This rib must fit into that groove. Not sure if the newer SX-A is the same in this regard.

Lou are you talking about the hex bolts at the top of the housing? The instructions show removing the bolts on the side where the drive pivots but those seem to be smooth on the inside and the one on the starboard side is where the trip indicator goes into. I've removed that and there is a phillips type head but I think that is simply a plastic that the trim indicator slips into. I did try to get a grip on the outside of those flanges but they are smooth on the outer side and I didn't want to damage them. If those do indeed need to be removed I think I might need a special tool to do so.

I should mention this is a DPS-A drive and I have not been able to find that exact drive model in what I have been looking at. I do have a Seloc shop manual and that also is not very helpful.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:44 pm 

Nope not at the top, they are the recessed ones in the middle of the side of the pivot housing (the part the drive bolts to that can move up & down).

It may take a special tool, on my Cobra it was just a simple hex fitting. But for sure those are the ones you need to remove to pull back the pivot housing.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II