www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bad Starter? Spare?
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:51 am 
Goldfish

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I've been stranded twice due to a bad starter and am determined to never let that happen again. Once was first year of owning a used boat and inherited a bad starter, next was a failure of the transom shield submerging the starter and later causing an ill-timed failure.

When I launched this year, the fully charged battery initiated a weak, hesitant crank, the same that in the past indicated a starter on its way out. I'll know more when I start it cold again this weekend.

I'm thinking I should buy a spare starter and keep it on the boat. Does anyone else do this? Is it overkill?

Can anyone supply a part number and direction on the best place online to purchase? Boat/engine info below. Thanks for the help and input!

2008 Toyota 4Runner

Post subject: Re: Bad Starter? Spare?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:12 pm 
email admin your custom rank

We keep a spare starter onboard so no I dont think its overkill. I just found a new one on ebay that was marine rated for cheap, I think something like $55. Its wrapped up in multiple ziploc freezer bags with desicant packs and strapped down in a protected spot in the engine compartment.

The last thing I want is to have a family vacation ruined by having a failed starter in a remote anchorage somewhere.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Starter-Marine-for-Volvo-Penta-3-0-4-3-5-7-7-4-8-1-GI-GL-GS-GXI/173089701347?hash=item284cf33de3:g:MeUAAOSwkx5XERDo

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon
1973 Startcraft 18ft "Sea Pickle"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:01 am 
Goldfish

Bliss36 wrote:
We keep a spare starter onboard so no I dont think its overkill. I just found a new one on ebay that was marine rated for cheap, I think something like $55. Its wrapped up in multiple ziploc freezer bags with desicant packs and strapped down in a protected spot in the engine compartment.

The last thing I want is to have a family vacation ruined by having a failed starter in a remote anchorage somewhere.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Starter-Marine-for-Volvo-Penta-3-0-4-3-5-7-7-4-8-1-GI-GL-GS-GXI/173089701347?hash=item284cf33de3:g:MeUAAOSwkx5XERDo

Boat has been starting fine over the weekend.

I'm seeing some inexpensive starters on Amazon; around $47. Not sure of the brands or the credibility of the reviews, but I may take a flyer on one just to have it around. Thanks for the tips on storage!

2008 Toyota 4Runner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:42 am 

I also don't think anyone is crazy for bringing any spare parts... I am looking for new starters myself. My solenoids seems to not work all the time, takes a few turns of the key to get them to crack. I originally just wanted new solenoids but the cheap prices of starters online doesn't seem to make sense to just get the solenoid. Then I can keep an old starter onboard as a spare since they do work.
I found Arco marine starters on Amazon that are really cheap. Found some reviews and people say they seem okay. I might pull the trigger but need to verify I have the correct one.
What brands have you guys been finding and do they seem okay? The ebay listing doesn't have a brand name. I really hate to go to a marina and spend 3x for the exact same part with a store name on it so they don't price match.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:27 am 
Goldfish

On Amazon, I'm seeing starters from Parts Player, Gladiator, and Sierra. Many other brands, but the pictures seem to show that they are all selling from just a few manufacturers.

I'm liking the looks of the black painted/coated version (to help prevent corrosion) and some also claim to be J1171 marine certified. I'm just not certain which model (teeth number, etc.) will work for me; they all seem to list multiple OEM part numbers that they're compatible with.

2008 Toyota 4Runner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:30 am 

I'm having the same issue. I am going to pull the starters and count the teeth before I order.
At these prices I doubt its going to make a difference on painted or not. The paint is probably as cheap as possible and a zinc coating(gold color) is going to be as thin as possible.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:39 am 
Shark

Are these aftermarket starters USCG approved or marine rated for use in an enclosed engine bay?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:21 am 
Goldfish

LUBA wrote:
Are these aftermarket starters USCG approved or marine rated for use in an enclosed engine bay?

Some claim to be J1171 marine certified, some don't. I believe that this is the certification you're seeking.

2008 Toyota 4Runner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:03 am 

I think it depends on where you boat and if Sea Tow/towing is available in your area. It's a good idea to keep spare parts like belts and the like on board, along with a tool kit. If your starter is on its way out it might be a good idea to carry a spare. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one to have just in case unless I was going really far offshore.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:50 pm 

Not a bad idea if you have good enough access to get at it yourself. You need the right size socket (5/8ths or 9/16ths forget which) and a long handled ratchet. I like electrical stuff from Arco. Not the cheapest but good quality...

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:18 am 

LouC wrote:
Not a bad idea if you have good enough access to get at it yourself. You need the right size socket (5/8ths or 9/16ths forget which) and a long handled ratchet. I like electrical stuff from Arco. Not the cheapest but good quality...

Good to know the Arco is decent stuff.

I find it hard to buy one of these starters on Amazon because the same exact Acro part number is J1171 certified on another legit site for more than twice the price. The Amazon description does not say J1171 certified, just Marine. I wonder if they left this out on the Amazon listing or if its actually a different starter.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:07 pm 
Shark

babbot1 wrote:
LouC wrote:

I find it hard to buy one of these starters on Amazon because the same exact Acro part number is J1171 certified on another legit site for more than twice the price. The Amazon description does not say J1171 certified, just Marine. I wonder if they left this out on the Amazon listing or if its actually a different starter.

Any update on this?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:43 am 

LUBA wrote:
babbot1 wrote:
LouC wrote:

Any update on this?

I didn't end up buying a new starter, I had the marina put in a new solenoid. It seems to be firing correctly now. They only found one to be bad. I know it is an easy fix but I had trouble finding the correct part numbers for my v-drives so I left it to the marina. They are different starters from stern drive engines.