www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bellows
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:13 am 
email admin your custom rank

I am constantly inspecting my bellows as I am terrified of them cracking and water intrusion into the lower unit. What is the life span on bellows? How difficult are they to replace yourself? Do you have to remove the lower unit?

"Where Da Go"
2002 248 Vista
Lafayette, IN
http://blueoceanlife.worldventures.biz

Post subject: Re: Bellows
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:10 am 

I keep my boat on the water for 6 months of each year, as a precaution that doesn't cost much I change the bellows every 2 years, but I've never seen any deterioration when I've inspected the old ones. The rate of deterioration will depend on two main factors (assuming nothing physically damages or eats them); temperature and how many hours use they have experienced ( each time the drive is trimmed up or steered the bellows are flexed) . I do about 40 - 50 engine hours per year.

The drive does have to come off to change the bellows. Heavy and awkward without a stand/ trolley of some sort, but mechanically quite a simple thing to do. There are a few threads here and on Boating ABC on drive removal.

Regards,
Graham

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:20 am 
230 Mike

I worry about the same thing, but I worry just as much about it being damaged accidentally (and unknowingly) during drive maintenance/inspection.

I think for the average boater, every 2 years is a good idea. At my current annual usage, that means about every 20 years for me. :roll:

On your '02, if it's never been replaced, frankly I'd get it done. I don't remember what engine/drive you have, but if it's a Volvo, be aware there's some sort of issue involving one of the hose clamps needing to be installed in exactly the right orientation, to avoid part of the clamp interfering with drive travel. Maybe Graham can add some more detail on this, as I haven't encountered it personally yet. I'm regurgitating this from memory.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:10 pm 

For an SX/ DPS older style; The internal rib on the bellows need to engage the groove on the transom shield, the screw fitting on the clamp needs to be in the one or two o'clock position. The use of gasket sealing compound is also specified.

Don't forget to ensure the clip on the ground strap is engaged on the clamp before it's tightened; you don't want the clamp to corrode away!

The other end of the bellows is pulled through the pivot housing, again with gasket sealing compound specified. There is no clamp; when the outdrive is fitted, it compresses the end of the bellows against the pivot housing.

Regards,

Graham

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:02 pm 
230 Mike

Graham R wrote:
...There is no clamp; when the outdrive is fitted, it compresses the end of the bellows against the pivot housing.

That's a bit disconcerting.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:28 am 

Mike,

When the bellows are pulled through the pivot housing, there is a lip which engages with the housing. That also has sealing compound on it. The end of the outdrive is tapered, as is the end of the bellows. There's sealing compound on that interface as well. It pushes that lip into the groove in the housing. Absolutely liquid tight if assembled correctly. I'd trust the 6 lock nuts attaching the outdrive to the pivot housing more than the single hose clip at the other end of the bellows!

Regards,

Graham

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:55 am 
230 Mike

Yeah, but not sure I trust the mechanic to use the sealing compound :shock: .

You've provided a great explanation though!

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:08 am 

Mike,

Sometimes mechanics are more diligent than the factory! The first time I took the outdrive off my current boat after it's first season on the water, there was a some corrosion on the driveshaft and a little water in the bellows. Luckily the water ingress wasn't so much that the drive shaft/ bearings had been immersed. The FW factory hadn't used any sealing compound on the original bellows! The dealer supplied me with a new bellows, in case the leak was due to old one leaking. No way of telling, I suspect it was due to the absence of sealing compound and the rubber beneath the clamp relaxing. Never any water in there since, I have always used the sealing compound

Regards,

Graham

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:41 am 

...................and I have just found out that the FW factory used sealing compound on the exhaust bellows, which don't need it! Maybe it was an apprentice?

Graham

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:03 pm 
230 Mike

...which would make me question whether they put it on the correct bellows... :shock:

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:23 pm 
Whatever

I changed the bellows on my last boat and said that I would not do it again, because of not having a lift/dolley of some sort to hold drive unit. I am just getting ready to get boat out of winter storage and take to shop to have this done.

Other than lifting drive off and lifting back into place, its a very easy job. But my back is getting old.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:18 am 

Yes, it's very awkward to put the drive back on without a dolly of some sort, as I found out the first time I did it ( about 2 hours before I could even start to fit the nuts! And a bad back afterwards). After that first time, I built a wheeled dolly, which makes it a lot easier ( it took about 5 minutes before it was ready for the nuts to be fitted this last weekend).

A corrrection to my earlier post; there is no gasket sealant applied to the tapered end of the outdrive, where it compresses against the bellows. It is grease that is applied there.

Graham

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:21 pm 
230 Mike

Somebody makes a fully articulating drive dolly that would be awesome to have if you routinely did your own drive work. But I think it costs ~$700US and would take up a lot of room when not being used.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:31 am 
I fix stuff

Graham R wrote:
Yes, it's very awkward to put the drive back on without a dolly of some sort, as I found out the first time I did it ( about 2 hours before I could even start to fit the nuts! And a bad back afterwards). After that first time, I built a wheeled dolly, which makes it a lot easier ( it took about 5 minutes before it was ready for the nuts to be fitted this last weekend).

A corrrection to my earlier post; there is no gasket sealant applied to the tapered end of the outdrive, where it compresses against the bellows. It is grease that is applied there.

Graham

How about some pictures of the dolly? or intructions on how you built it?

2001 CBR1100XX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:42 pm 

I don't have any photos I'm afraid. I basically used a few bought in bits and used up other bits and pieces I had lying around in the garage (my wife reckons I never throw anything away! hence double garage with no room for a car!). It evolved over 6 years, now I'm finally happy with the way it works.

Two 4" x 2" x 32" long wooden longitudinal members. Orientation; 4" sides are vertical, 2" horizontal, for maximum stiffness.

Attached at their ends to the top of a 3"x 3" x 23” long (= wide) crossmember, so as to give 9" spacing between the long pieces, which are parallel to each other. Bolted together using coachbolts and screws. This becomes the rear of the dolly.

Crossmember protrudes roughly 4" beyond the outside faces of each long piece. 4" Swivel solid PU castor wheels are fitted underneath here on each side, allowing it to be steered like a forklift truck (or boat!). As the wheels are outside the frame, this makes it very stable. Bigger wheels might have made it easier to move, but these proved OK.

Fixed wheel fitted to each of the other end of the long pieces. I used 8" rubber tyred wheels (because I had them already). This means the front and rear of the frame are roughly the same height off the ground. Up to here, it is pretty much as when I first built it.

Two vertical 13" lengths of M12 threaded bar attached to the rear of the longitudinal pieces approximately 2" ahead of the crossmember (i.e. forward of the crossmember/ wheels theoretical axle). Fixed rigidly in place with nut/washer above and below the wood. This forms the basis for the adjustable height rear support.

Two 13" lengths of 4" x 2 " timber attached vertically to the front, centre line 4" behind the axle of the front wheels. Fitted with coachbolts. Each triangulated rearwards with a 13" steel small "U" section, to provide front/ rear stability; attached directly to the side of the uprights with a screw at 7" height, attached to the top face of the longitudinal pieces via right angle brackets/ bolts. A heavy duty ( 1/4" thick steel) 2" x 2" bracket attached to the rear face of each upright, so that one face of each bracket is horizontal, facing backwards. This top face has a hole that gives clearance to a M12 thread, but needs to be slotted in the front to rear direction of the dolly; important! This forms the basis of the adjustable front support.

The things that contact/ support the outdrive are basically two 30" lengths of 1.5" x 1.5" heavy duty industrial conduit U sections, the "U" facing outwards, with foam rubber on their top surfaces. (Wood could also be used).

At the front, there is a 6" length of M12 threaded bar attached to the lower surface of each U section, about 4" from the forward end. These fit into the slotted holes in the right angle brackets, a nut and washer either side of the brackets allows the height to be adjusted/ locked in place. The hole needs to be slotted as the angle can change, depending on the rear support height and the adjustment might "bind" otherwise.

The long U sections are not attached rigidly at the rear. They rest on another horizontal steel U section, 13" in length, with the "U" upwards, which can be adjusted up and down/ locked onto the two rear support rods. I did this so the front to rear U sections can be adjusted to be as close as wanted to the sides of the outdrive, by swinging them inwards at the rear. That U section support has a bolt either side, to limit the outwards movement.

Once everything is locked in place, it is very stable. I used to clamp the outdrive in place with G clamps, I no longer bother to. The outdrive can be slid backwards and forwards quite easily on the foam rubber. One last mod; when wheeling the dolly/ outdrive about, stability of the whole frame is increased using a space tube between the front uprights. A threaded bar with a welded on wing nut passes through this tube, and screws into a T nut. This basically completes the 4th side of the box, when looking from above. This is important for me, as I have to drag the outdrive/dolly uphill to my boat, over a fairly rough tarmac drive, with changes of slope everywhere! That tube and threaded bar has to be removed to allow the dolly to be withdrawn from the drive once it's fitted to the boat.

I also fitted a tubular handle (like on a lawnmower) at the back.

( a picture would have been simpler!)

Graham