www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:46 pm 
Seahorse

I have a 1998 Horizon 5.7 GSI throttle body fuel injected. When i purchased the boat 6 years ago it would start instantly at the touch of a key. Now after sitting a day, it takes 3 to 4 times of cranking at 4 seconds each time I crank before it fires up. It has been doing this for the past two years. The kids now count down each time we put it in the water. I miss the touch the key starting at the dock, instead of looking like the guy who's boat wont start. Once started runs great, no power issues, no fuel issues. Also it will start at the touch of a key all day long after the initial cold start. High pressure pump at 30psi. Low pressure had no place check, thus I just installed a new low pressure pump - same results.

If I had blockage in the fuel line I would expect to see it in operation and power. The fuel pumps both cycle for the couple of seconds when the ignition is turned on. I have tried turning on and off multiple times thus multiple priming of the fuel pumps - no effect, still takes multiple cranking attempts. Full fuel tank or empty fuel tank - no effect. It acts like no fuel or no spark on the first 3 to 4 attempts.

What am I missing?

Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:17 am 
email admin your custom rank

What maintenance has the boat had?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:12 pm 

I vaguely remember mention of a cold start additional injector on the TBI engines ( I had a 1999 one), to enrich the mixture when the engine is cold ( duh !!!!). If there is one, not working maybe. Not sure which temperature sensor brings it into life.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:51 am 
Seahorse

Maintenance on the engine side has been typical yearly of fuel/water filter and oil change & filter. I have not touched the spark plugs or anything else. Part of the reason is how it starts and runs after the first attempt. It runs perfectly all day after the initial launch at the boat ramp. That is why i was thinking there may be something I am overlooking that assists in a cold start situation.

I will research the cold start additional injector and see what I can find.

I will put on the muffs, get a buddy to crank it in the drive and I will observe the fuel being shot in the Throttle body. I have not checked that yet, maybe there is no fuel for some reason on the initial 2 cranks. The first time it actually tries and fires it is running.

FYI - It will also vapor lock after sitting and swimming for a few hours. About 30 seconds after I leave the beach it loses power, starts to chug. If I throw it in neutral it runs good after 5 seconds of chugging and we are good to go. However, if it dies or you shut it off during the chugging phase you are dead in the water. It does not matter how many times I try or how long I wait. Time to find a boat for a tow. Then the next day I go out in the drive with muffs on and it starts right up on the third or fourth try.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:02 pm 
Shark

YYZ-RC wrote:
Ignition module replaced, back in business.

How much did that cost you?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:25 pm 

Considered removing the 2x injectors & having them professionally cleaned/ flow tested?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:29 am 
Seahorse

My ignition module should arrive today. Will get it installed and post outcome.

Boated for 4 hours last evening doing nothing but pulling tubes, knee boards and wake boards... 4 times cranking on the cold start to get er running then probably 3 dozen more starts throughout the evening. First crank / instant fire and running on all other starts. 20 year old boat runs like it's her first day on the water once I get past that initial cold start.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:31 am 
Shark

deafwish wrote:
Considered removing the 2x injectors & having them professionally cleaned/ flow tested?

I sent mine out last winter to witchhunter performance about a $100 for all 4.