www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:45 am 
email admin your custom rank

I've heard both pumps called circulating.....is it the impellor pump or the main water pump

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:54 am 

The circulating pump is the old style Chevy water pump on the front of the engine.esay job,sometimes it is a bit tough to get the pulley off. They last a long time; only replace when the bearing gets noisy or leaks. I’m on my 3rd one...

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:28 pm 

Only tip I have is to throw a towel in the bilge first. It will hold bolts so you can pick them with magnet. If like my jobs you will drop at least one.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:49 am 

I replaced mine a couple of months ago in my 1998 5.7GSi. The only problem I had was since it was the original pump there was paint drops on a couple of the bolts that prevented a socket to fit on it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:21 am 

If you have closed cooling, a standard automotive pump is ok. If not, you need the marine one ( which has a stainless backplate and maybe some other bits use corrosion resistant materials as well)/

I changed it on my 1999 GSi. No real problems, I was just thankful I still had my old "imperial" sockets and spanners !

One thing to watch out for; mine had two V belts, not a serpentine belt. The hub that the pulley bolts onto had been pressed a few mm too far down onto the shaft, meaning the pulley was out of alignment with the others on the engine. I couldn't pull it back with a puller, so I had to use spacer washers behind the pulley to bring it forward and into alignment.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:38 am 
Livin' the Dream

YYZ-RC wrote:
Graham R wrote:
If you have closed cooling, a standard automotive pump is ok. If not, you need the marine one ( which has a stainless backplate and maybe some other bits use corrosion resistant materials as well)/

I changed it on my 1999 GSi. No real problems, I was just thankful I still had my old "imperial" sockets and spanners !

One thing to watch out for; mine had two V belts, not a serpentine belt. The hub that the pulley bolts onto had been pressed a few mm too far down onto the shaft, meaning the pulley was out of alignment with the others on the engine. I couldn't pull it back with a puller, so I had to use spacer washers behind the pulley to bring it forward and into alignment.

Thanks Graham! I have the serpentine belt so hopefully no issues. I ordered a new belt as well. Hope to tackle it it this weekend, along with running new new shift/throttle cables.

Good luck, hope it goes well for you!

Take good pics and notes on the throttle/shift cables, mine sticks a little, not bad, but I could See that in a couple years

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp