www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SS Prop?
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:13 pm 
Starfish

I was wondering if you guys can help me out with choosing a new SS prop for my boat. I have a 2007 Horizon 200 with a 5.0 carb volvo penta. Boat has about 30 hours on it as of right now. The prop on now is an aluminum 14.5X19. With 2 adults and 2 young kids on the boat with a full tank I was able to hit 47mph GPS with a full tank. Rpm was at about 4900 trimed up. If I go to SS prop can I just get one with the same pitch and everything? I am assuming that going to stainless I will loose maybe 200rpm so that would put me at about 4700. If I go 21 pitch I'm thinking that it might put me a little to low in rpm at full throttle. What do you guys think??

Post subject: Re: SS Prop?
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:26 pm 
Villiage Idiot

http://www.go-fast.com/Prop_Slip_Calculator.htm

It looks like you're doing your homework with one exception.... you are not reading the old posts we have on this very thing. You have plenty of data, just plug into the above. Personally, I'd try a 4 blade 20" SS based on what you've said so far. The extra paddle will bump up the hole-shot; the thinner blades will keep the RPM up, and less flex should help the top end. Looks like you're fairly close.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:58 pm 
Starfish

one of the reasons I was trying to stay with a 3 blade was for more top end. From my understanding a 3 blade would be faster then a 4 blade (not 100% sure on this though). My hole shot is excellent right now, so I believe I have a little room to loose some hole shot for more top end. I was hoping to hit low 50's with the 3 blade ss. I will do some more research on the 4 blade though. Thanks for the tip

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:20 pm 
The Bug Doctor

Walt,

Thanks for the link to a great site on Props.

2005 Nissan Titan Crew Cab
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat

http://www.seabrook-services.com

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:24 am 
email admin your custom rank

I have a similar setup in my 200 (5.0 l carb 220 HP). I have a 19 as a spare prop and a 21 as my main. When I did tests I got about 52-54 on the 21 (by the speedo) and about 48-50 when I put the 19 on. Both these props are aluminum. Hole shot is similar with both props. I would just buy a 21 aluminum because they are cheaper and not worry about the small gain of the stainless unit.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:02 pm 
Whatever

I disagree with buying another aluminum, if you have one now, iand want performance, the SS with not flex, cavitate much less, better hole shot, and better top end for the given pitch and diameter vs aluminum.

Our last two boats had single props and I played with many pitches and brands of SS, IMHO the SS is far better vs. aluminum. The only positve for aluminum is price and will fall apart if it hits a rock.

I found a boat shop that let me demo a few props til I found the one I liked.

Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:10 pm 
Starfish

what were your WOT rpms with your 19 and 21?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:28 pm 

I don't recall the exact WOT rpm's but I think it was 4800 (21 p) and 4600. Unfortunately, i'm not "performance sensitive" when it comes to subtleties so I didn't really notice a big difference in hole shot but did notice my lower top speed. Since, I can't say if I would notice a small performance gain so i personally would not buy a stainless prop. You could always try the aluminum first (less $ for experimentation) and if you like the performance sell it and buy a SS unit?

In reality, what are you really gaining (measureably) with the expensive SS props? These boats are not high performance with tons of horsepower and torque. i believe the only thing it helps is the pocket book of the repair guys when you ding them and the potential to maybe even hurt your outdrive!

All this being said, my H260 has a set of SS duoprops and I am going to look for a set of Aluminum props to use for everyday use. the water here this year is extremely high (as are most) and the debris and submerged rocks will be brutal.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:23 pm 
Villiage Idiot

I've gotta disagree with you mill'.

I went through alum props like crazy. At least one per year had to be rebuilt due to rock/stump strikes on my home lake. I just accepted that as the norm. I switched to SS, and haven't had one ding in the 3-4 years since. It's paid for itself! Most of my strikes are too soft to damamge the SS or drive, but would chew up the leading and outer edge of the alum. If I really hit something hard, mine have the XHS, which I recommend on alum or SS.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:28 pm 

Walt
I guess it depends where you are boating.

In Lake Ontario if you hit something it is usually a rock or rock bottom! It does major damage. There are so many islands and protruding rocks that it can be a bit scary out there and the winds certainly don't help either when you are trying to get on an island for lunch or dinner. the channel markers are far apart here too. We are also constantly exploring new areas to go and that gets us in trouble fast! I tore up one aluminum prop beyond repair last year and had to have my new one and the spare repaired over the winter so I could sell them with the boat. Thank god I did no noticeable damage to my outdrive. When the lake is high there is nothing to worry about but when it's low, the potential for damage is very great. My potential playground here is anywhere from 30 miles wide to a 1/4 mile and runs from the Atlantic Ocean all the way to Niagara Falls so it's hard to know all the safe routes and because it is so big out here we tend to run at 40-45 mph so we can go from A to B. Sometimes it only takes being 20' from where you were last weekend to make the difference. The Lake is 4' higher than normal right now and I am ecstatic!!!! I hope they leave it up but I suspect they will begin draining it after the long weekend in May.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:31 pm 
Whatever

Never seen or heard of Aluminum duo props!

SS are the way to go for any type of performance, speed, hole shot, tow boat for skiing, ect....