www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:32 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Marc:
Any update? Are you ok to get out for summer? I hope to see you soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:19 pm 

Hey Sushi ! Thanks for the concern!

I have not even been down to the boat in a week :roll: Last weekend we decided to go away since it was "supposed" to be miserable and this week it has either been too cold or I have been too busy.

As it stands right now, I drained the old oil and water (lots!) replaced the oil and filter and let it run up to temp. The oil pressure was good for the total running time and we even went for a little idling along cruise. After the warm up, the oil still showed signs of water contamination (milky). I am hoping to get to the boat this weekend and drain the oil again, hopefully the water will be settled out and more of it can be removed by the evacuation machine. I will replace the oil and filter again and bring it up to temp again with a little cruise at idle. I hate to just waste the gas you know! :lol:

I am still trailing out a minute slick of oil and I hope that it is just residual oil that is sticking to the inside of the hoses. I have the weekend to myself because my wife took our three year old camping so I am going to try and spend most of the weekend on the boat and if the weather turns bad, I am going to pull it back out and stuff it in my shop.

I am hoping to be back on the water worry-free very soon. Next weekend is Canada Day and I want to be able to go and watch the fireworks from the boat so hopefully all will be well by then.

I will keep you posted as I progress over the weekend.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:31 am 

Well guys, I got to the boat Friday evening... The oil looked OK but still had a slightly milky tinge to it so I extracted as much as I could plus I used 2 extra litres to flush the system down. I changed the filter and topped her up and promptly went fro a little idle out to a Bay about a mile and half away. I let the boat sit for a while, had a sandwich and beverage. I checked the oil and it seemed nice and clear and slightly over the "safe" on the dipstick but not so much to be concerned. The tappet that was making noise last week had quieted down and everything was back to normal. On the way back to my slip, I made some higher rev runs but could not get over 40 mph. But I did have 6 "bigger" guys on the boat at the time! I attributed it to the load and the fact that the trim guage doesn't work so I have to play with the trim. Parked the boat around 10 pm ready for Saturday's trials!

Saturday, I checked oil and it was nice and clear! One of my buddy's had taken my truck and trailer to the ramp so I was alone. I made some high speed passes and made sure the motor ran nice and hot to help evaporate off any of the minute water traces that may be left. When I got to the ramp, it was busy so my buddy got in and we ran around for about an hour and a half without any problems! That evening we put the boat back in after I spent the afternoon scrubbing the hull, cleaning the inside, and wired the docking lights. I took five of the neighbours plus myself for tour into town for dinner. We went to downtown Kingston which is about a 20-25 mile round trip without problems.

I guess I am good to go for the season! :o

I still plan on changing the oil one more time this week and then probably another after next weekend to the synthetic. That will make a total of four oil changes! but it is definitely cheaper than changing out the motor like I originally thought.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:28 am 
230 Mike

Great news! We'll continue to keep our fingers crossed as the season goes on.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:24 pm 

Marc:
I am glad that things are working out for you… :D ... When you are ready to take a trip down to 1000 Island give us a PM. We typically hang out on Potters , Leek island and Picton Island..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:28 pm 

Great news! The information on the cooler and the need to make sure it's drained when you winterize, is good info for anyone with the same engine package.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II