www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Volvo Engine Break-In
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:08 pm 
Tadpole

Regarding the breaking-in period of Volvo Engines, should tubing be avoided until after the 20 hour break-in period?
Thanks in advance...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:34 pm 
Clownfish

I don't really see any hurt if you still follow the volvo guidelines. On the other hand why not wait until the 20 hours are up?

Post subject: Oil Pressure Gauge
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:25 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I finally got my boat back from the engine over-heating damage situation. It took a volvo engine marine mechanic to get r done! I pulled it from the original marina for gross incompetence. The engine is now a new engine ( the new mechanic found 5 quarts of water in the crank case of the old engine. Gee, I wonder why it wouldn't start?!?!!) and I have to do the break in sequence for new engines. Does anyone know if the oil pressure gauge runs a little high with new engines? When I checked the oil while the boat is in the water, it showed a level about 1/2 inch above the "safe" print on the dip stick. Could too much oil cause the high reading or not, or is that normal for a new engine? Temp of engine reads about 165 to 172 degrees.

1995 Four Winns Horizon 190
OMC 5.0 RL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:00 pm 
Minnow

Overfilled oil can cause "windage", where the crankshaft froths the oil & the elevated level creates a bit more drag. High oil in & of itself shouldn't increase the oil pump pressure, although overfilled oil can increase crankcase pressures & cause oil to be "burned" off faster through the crankcase ventilation. I think the high readings are probably a function of a "new" motor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:17 pm 
230 Mike

Agreed. However, if it were me, I'd pump out that excess oil.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject: Oil Pressure Gauge
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:11 pm 

I think I'll try to pump out some of that oil. Thanks guys!!

OMC 5.0 RL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:10 pm 

I'm ready to change my oil after the break-in hours and while I was out on the lake, I tried to go a bit faster. I eased the throttle forward and it didn't do anything. The rpm's went only to 3500 at full throttle and it kind of bogged down and the speed remained the same, a whopping 16 mph. I was told by my mechanic to stay at 3000 rpm's for the first 10 hours which translated to only 15 mph. Anyone have an Idea?? Before I yell at my mechanic, which I really don't want to, of course. What a journey I'm having!!

OMC 5.0 RL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:25 pm 
Mental Floss

This is what was explained to me:
The break in proceedure should have you runnng the engine at changing RPMs for the first 10 hrs with NO WOT run for more than 1 minute after the first 5 hrs. RPMs 3000 or lower should be avoided for any length of time. Hrs 10 -20, WOT for no more than 2 minutes at a time. Change the oil after the first 20 hrs. After the first 20 hrs, run it like a scalded dog if you wish. Check the oil regulalry for the first 50 hrs as new engines can use more oil at first.

It's important to note that your engine SHOULD be running within the WOT recommendations (I believe 4600-4800 rpms). If it doesn't you are putting undue load on the engine and the cause of the reduced WOT should be corrected. It could be anything from the wrong prop, a really dirty bottom to serious engine problems.

Barr Marine by EDM wrote:

Break-In

Taking care now to break-in your new Indmar engine is VERY important. When broken in properly, your engine will last longer, run better and require fewer repairs over its lifetime. Your new Indmar engine does not require an elaborate break-in procedure, just a little care and common sense for the first few hours.

Break-in Tips

Always let the engine warm up to normal operating temperature before accelerating.

Avoid fast accelerations and don't carry (or pull) a heavy load during this period.

Check the engine oil frequently. During the first 50 to 100 hours, the engine can use more oil than usual. Maintain oil at proper level but do not overfill.

Vary the boat speed during break-in. Do not run at the same RPM for very long.

Observe gauge readings and check for loose mountings, fittings, nuts, bolts and clamps.

Report any abnormal operation, noises or vibrations to your dealer.

Break-in Steps

1. For the first hour, do not exceed 2000 RPM; vary RPM continuously.

2. For the second hour, do not exceed 3000 RPM.

3. For the next 5 hours, do not exceed 4000 RPM.

After the first 10 hours of operation, take your boat tO the dealer for its first engine oil and filter change and engine checkup. Your dealer is best equipped to check the engine immediately after break-in.

After break-in, your engine may be operated at any RPM within the limits for the engine. Your boat must be fitted with a propeller that will allow the engine to turn between 4400 and 4800 RPM at wide-open throttle with a normal load in the boat.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:57 pm 

After talking with the mechanic, I only heard the part that was said about not going over 3000 rpm. He did tell me now after I explained the issue and I listened better I guess that I needed to vary the rpm's. That is what I did not do. He is coming out to check the plugs because he thinks that they are an issue with the rings getting properly sealed and such that the oil affected the spark plugs. He used a term that I'm not familiar with and said ???? out. I wish I could remember. Anyway, he is coming out tommorrow to test the boat on the lake and replace the plugs if needed.

OMC 5.0 RL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:03 pm 

My mechanic had to replace the plugs, something about being fouled out. Also, #7 cyclinder was not firing, the spark plug wire broke off somehow and was repaired. I now get up to 4600 rpm full throttle and zip around the lake. I do vary the rpm's and haven't stayed consistant at any one speed. I also got to 30 mph a couple of times, max. I don't know if that is normal. What is the rated speed for this boat? Can't find it anywhere. Anywhere written what speed translates to rpm? Overall, I'm beginning to get used to the boat. Too bad the season is almost over.

OMC 5.0 RL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:22 am 
Mental Floss

Alex:

Check here 1999 238 Specs

Remember, check your speed using a GPS. Your speedoe can be inaccurate.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:43 pm 

Thanks!! I thought I saw this somewhere. The specs jogged my memory.

OMC 5.0 RL