www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:57 pm 
Guppy

I'm puting together spec for my new H210
Decision made it will be Volvo ... with Duoprop
(Volvo +ve ... Fresh water cooling, variable valve timing, Direct Injection, all Aluminium, respected DPS drive for saltwater use.
Mercruiser 250 -ve ... lots of pipes, more connections to fail, raw water cooling, Bravo III corrosion issues
)

Now trying to decide on whether to get 240 or 280 Aquamatic.
My current boat is the same weight, length & beam - has been very happy performance wise with standard 200hp & alpha drive.
Same V6 ...same weight
You would think it easy choice go for larger HP .... but looking at performance there is no difference in power up to 4600rpm, and torque is almost identical .... difference only comes in 4600 to 5800 which is not the Rev band I normally operate in.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l85mgpabq68qt ... o.pdf?dl=0

My use is 100% saltwater and all about towed recreational sports, usually in 18-22mph range ... holeshot & torque are key, not a high top end.
Thinking a new boat would be getting extra 40hp and duoprop which in itself will be a significant boost ... going 280 may not be worth the extra cost, for little practical gain.

Anybody any comments ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:24 pm 
email admin your custom rank

If I was using primarily in salt I would give serious consideration to an outboard.

If you are dead set on inboard then i wouldn't do it without closed cooling system.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:37 am 
Guppy

TX H210SS wrote:
If I was using primarily in salt I would give serious consideration to an outboard.

If you are dead set on inboard then I wouldn't do it without closed cooling system.

Had a couple of Outboard boats ... need a full-width swim platform, and it is a pain trying to get in and out for watersports with an outboard in the way, hence why I move to I/O plus a lot cheaper to run.
having made the move - know its the right choice for my use.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:46 pm 

One big thing...in the UK are inboards required to have cat converter exhaust? If so then I suggest you check on the price of replacement of the exhaust if you will keep it that long because the last time I looked at prices for Volvo cat exhaust the price was very high (like close to $3,000 usd per side!)If cat converters are not required then no worries at least on that point.
I looked at the spec sheet and it appears to come with the cat converter exhaust; however the system is aluminum not cast iron. Depending on the grade of cast aluminum it could be more corrosion resistant than cast iron in salt water. It would be interesting to hear owners experienced since these have been out a while.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:09 pm 
Guppy

LouC wrote:
One big thing...in the UK are inboards required to have cat converter exhaust? If so then I suggest you check on the price of replacement of the exhaust if you will keep it that long because the last time I looked at prices for Volvo cat exhaust the price was very high (like close to $3,000 usd per side!)If cat converters are not required then no worries at least on that point.
I looked at the spec sheet and it appears to come with the cat converter exhaust; however the system is aluminum not cast iron. Depending on the grade of cast aluminum it could be more corrosion resistant than cast iron in salt water. It would be interesting to hear owners experienced since these have been out a while.

Correct, cat version is required to meet emissions standards.
Seems strange when you see huge belching clouds of smoke from commercial craft ...
It is what it is ....

I have never had to change exhaust risers, I look after my boats, good flushing with salt dissolver after use ...I may just be lucky, but think it’s more than that.
So in 5yrs Intend to keep boats should be OK.
Good point to raise though ... Thnx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:31 pm 

If not out of price range I would opt for more hp...even if that meant going with bigger engine and single prop drive. I know the duo props have many benefits....until ya hit something.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:36 am 
Guppy

TX H210SS wrote:
If not out of price range I would opt for more hp...even if that meant going with bigger engine and single prop drive. I know the duo props have many benefits....until ya hit something.

Could you advise why ? ..... interested in the logic .... to help my decision.

200 & single prop handles all needs ..... going to 240 & Duoprop is certainly adding a lot of extra 'holeshot' ............ apart from fuel consumption & servicing costs what would the extra HP give me ....
there is no benefit until you are above 4600 rpm and I never operate in that range.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:04 am 
Shark

More power is always better in a boat.
Quicker to plain (especially when you have lots of people on board).
Less fuel consumption at a given speed (less rpms and load on the engine).
Boat engines are more about low end torque than wide open HP.
Just like trucks for pulling large boats - you want more low end torque.

I had always rather run my engine at 3500 rpms at 30 mph than 4000 rpms at 30 mph if the option is available.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:43 am 

The H-210 is about the same size as my old boat which is an '88 H-200. Mine has a 4.3 rated at 205 hp with the 4bbl Quadrajet carb. I'd say get as much power as you can reasonably afford. The H-210 is approx. 3400 lbs, mine is listed to weigh about 2600 lbs (but I'm sure it weighs a good bit more due to added things and years worth of bottom paint). The old boat has an integrated swim platform measures out at 20'9" but is actually larger inside (swim platform is smaller, interior is longer). The 4.3 in the relatively light 200 is just adequate. One thing about the way boat engines are rated is that they don't always list torque ratings which are important too. So if you can get a 4.3 which is lighter than the V8 and puts out 280 hp that would be a nice power package. Looking at the US offerings on the Four Winns site, the Volvo Penta V8 option gives you only 20 hp more at 300. However I'd like to compare the torque for the V6 vs V8.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:51 am 
Shark

A bit late to the discussion, but late in 2017 i repowered my 238 Vista with a Volvo Penta 240-C. I got a package and therefore brand new inboard and outdrive, along with clocks etc.
I bought my Vista very cheap a few years back and ended up spending more time fixing engine issues as i did using the thing; for me though i knew it would be worth the investment as all other things (Uphostery etc) i'd done myself. Once Engine installed my insurance valuation is still more than the boat + Engine Bill so i'm still the right side in terms of investment!!
Last year i did 100+ hours as the weather was amazing, this year i've done circa 50ish so i'm definitely getting the use. The reliability has also meant further trips afield and i no longer have to spend the time i'm driving listening out for funny engine noises nor scrolling through parts diagrams and ebay for spares!!
So what's it like? Well i boat in Jersey (UK) so salt water. The 240-C V6 is mostly Aluminium, so it's lighter than the old cast iron blocks, it has closed cooling inside the engine so antifreeze and heat exchanger, so that's good too. It gets up on the plane easy, and revs to 5600, i don't think i'm doing much faster than i did, well not a whole lot noticably anyway - but the engine is so much smoother than the old one i had and as i said always starts on the button every time.
The point about the exhausts is correct, it has catalytic converters for the emissions, also two oxygen sensors each side so replacement may well be quite pricey, i did price them up when i went for the package but can't remember 100% how much, they should last 5-7 years anyhow so fingers crossed that's a few years away!! Each exhaust has an anode inside that needs checking every year.
When i went for this package i priced up the mercruiser 250 also but it was more expensive and didn't have the closed cooling (From memory).
I'd definitely buy again, no complaints so far (Except the initial outlay!!) - only negative is the warranty is only 2yrs on everything, after this you're only covered for major components for 5yrs. In all fairness to VP though i had an oil leak from the propshaft last year and it was fixed under warranty with no bill.
It was a stretch to this but if i could have afforded the 280 V6 i probably would have got that. Overall though, i'm extremely happy with the package, it's transformed how much i use the boat 8)
If you have any other questions just let me know.....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:37 pm 
Guppy

To follow up ... the boat arrived - wrong hull colour.
So new order for delivery in March

On the 240 vs 280
The power curve of the 240 & 280- is almost identical up to 5600 rpm

As one of you pointed out torque is important to get on plane .... the 2 models have exactly the same torque right up to 4,600rpm ..... only once you go past that does torque start rolling and the 280 rolls off slower ..... motor will not be at those revs getting onto plane so don't see that being an issue.

Fuel economy almost identical.

Welcome any further thoughts - as I now have the opportunity to 'pick my version' again.