www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:27 pm 
Tadpole

Hi all,

I really hope someone can help me with this or point me in the right direction. I have a 2001 Four Winns 180 Horizon LS with the 4.3 Volvo Penta ( only 180 hours on it, perfectly maintained, never stored in water, awesome boat) - however, the Power steering Actuator seal just went bad (as they do on these) so power steering fluid is leaking. I looked into getting it repaired at the marina I go to but to my shock and surprise the marina said that in order to get at the Actuator to replace it, they may need to take out the motor and if they do then the total cost will be around 4k! If they do not have to remove the motor it will be cheaper but that is a large price difference and unknow. I have to believe this is incorrect. This is a seal that is known to go, as all seals do, surely the engineers at Four WInns thought of this. So my question is - does the Motor need to be removed to replace the Power Steering Actuator? Is there a trick or a way to get at the actuator without the need to remove the motor, and costing an unbelievably steep price to do so? Is there a repair guide to removing the actuator or at least opening access to the Volvo Penta 4.3 in a 2001 Four Winns Horizon 180 LS? I would think removing teh engine cover and maybe sundeck may gave access. Also if anyone knows a trusted boat mechanic or shop around Sanford, Orlando area that works on FOur WInns would be awesome too. Anything you can tell me to help me with this situation would be appreciated. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:12 am 
email admin your custom rank

My power steering actuator went out July 1st on my 2006 H240 with a Volvo Penta outdrive. Repair cost at Lake Norman Marina In North Carolina was $1,400 and no mention was made of removing the engine. Got it back in 3 days just in time for my family arrival for 4th July celebrations. This marina is the former FW dealer who now sells Cobalt boats.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:51 am 
Starfish

I had mine replaced on a 99 245 Sundowner where the access back there is really bad. They did not have to remove the motor to do it, however, I had this done while I was having my engine heads reconditioned and the manifolds and risers replaced so access was at an optimum back there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:47 pm 

Now you’ve learned why some people hate i/o power trains with a passion, some boat manufacturers do not give the slightest thought to accessibility of anything on the rear or sides of the engine bay. That molded in fiberglass with cushy seats that looks so great in the showroom is the nemisis of us backyard mechanics. Most modern I/o sport boats are like that and I for one will never buy a boat designed that way. Ever change a starter on one of those? You are lucky if you can even reach the bolts. I kept my old boat because I was able to re configure the rear seating so it all comes out and the engine bay is wide open. But for my next boat, no way. Outboards only!

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:00 am 
Starfish

Yeah that is a real problem with most IOs but I did have a 96 FW 4.3l that was a dream to work on back there. Once the engine dog house was removed you had great access to just about the whole engine and you could actually change the oil by removing the oil pan drain plug. The 99 Sundowner is a completely different story when it comes to doing anything engine related including that steering mechanism!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:20 pm 

That’s how I decide what I’m willing to buy since I’m the mechanic. If it’s gonna be hard to repair I don’t buy it.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:42 pm 

There is only three cotter pins.
If you can get them out no reason to pull the engine. One is pretty tough You will need to remove the exhaust on that side though

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:37 am 

This sounds high, pulling an engine shouldn't be that labor intensive for a marina but then again I'm not familiar with the Horizon. I'm getting a long block replacement this week, the labor for pulling my boat out of the water and blocking, pulling the engine, swapping all the items from the old engine to the new block, testing and dropping the boat back in the water is $2K.