www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:45 am 
Minnow

Not sure if I’m having a oil pick up issue or what. Noticed that my oil pressure today was a quarter low then usual I checked oil level and it was a little over full like usual. Before at 3/4 throttle the oil pressure would peg all the way now it’s barely hitting 3/4 I noticed when the boat leans more to the right (port?) the oil pressure does go up. I over filled by 3 quarts and I’m gonna take it out and see what happens. Could it be a oil pressure sensing unit going out?? Has anyone else had any oil pressure issues with their 7.4gi?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:10 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Get the overfill out....that's extreme having 3 qts over. I imagine your crank is sloshing in oil at 4500 rpm and that will cause major issues.

Being erratic reading I would imagine it's either a bad gauge or sending unit assuming your connections are all good.

Sound like it's been going haywire for a while as pegging pressure at 3/4 throttle isnt going to happen. The manifold gaskets would start blowing. I would check connections at sending unit and gauge and if ok then swap the sending unit....if that's not a fix I would go to the gauge.

Others with more mechanical knowledge than me may offer some test you can do before throwing parts at it though.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:46 am 
Clownfish

Not sure what the setup is like on the 7.4 as I have a 5.7, but I found a crack in the elbow that connected the oil pressure sender to the block. Guessing a tech bumped it when winterizing at some point. Do you have any oil leakage?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:52 am 
email admin your custom rank

You need to troubleshoot your gauge/sending unit......I'd hook up a manual gauge to it and have someone read it as you drive the boat...carefully....if it does the same thing then you may have sludge in the oil pan that is blocking the oil screen intake at certain angles...are you hearing tapping coming from the lifters when this happens? It may just be the sending unit...wiring...or gauge...but do not assume that...verify with a manual (mechanical) gauge first...

If the mechanical gauge gives the same indication...you're in for an engine pull I'm afraid...either a sludged up oil screen, worn oil pump....or wear in main, cam or rod bearings...any odd noises?

what oil viscosity are you using?
I like the Merc 25/40 for inboards...it does not break down easily like 10/30 or 5/30 car based oils. You can use the 25/40 or a straight 30, or 40. Not 10/ or 5 anything, unless its a 10/40 full syn which was recommended by Volvo Penta as of late....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:48 pm 
Shark

Chevelle did that once. It was a big block. Oil pick up tube came loose from the oil pump. It was sucking air there. We tack welded it on. Just a idea. I would go with checking it with a mech gauge first eliminate electronic gauge issues.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:55 pm 
Minnow

ThAnks guys I will start there and let you know how I make out first thing first take out the oil and install mechanical oil gauge