www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:06 pm 
email admin your custom rank

My H200 has become incredibly tough to steer over the last few years, getting worse and worse. I always thought it would be the steering cable. Last night I disconnected the cable from the VP actuator by removing that little far port side cotter pin, then the anchor nut, and now the cable can slide out all the way. BUT. I checked the steering wheel after the actuator was disconnected and the cable moves easily with the wheel... to me, that means the cable is ruled out.

I've never heard any whine, noise, or squeak from the engine compartment whatsoever, and the power steering fluid is full at the COLD fill line when cold. I will check to see if the belt is silently slipping on the pulley... if not should I replace the pump or are there more diagnostics left to check?

Also, I already tried once to put the steering cable back in and can only get the ram to get 95% through the twist/tilt tube even with twisting the tube to try different positions. There is a piece at the end of that tilt tube that must not be positioned correctly I am guessing. I can feel something in the end of that tube with my finger. Any tips here would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:02 pm 
Minnow

I'm having an issue with my power steering as well. My problem is different than yours because I have a leak and am losing power steering fluid. Hopefully we both can find the problem. It's not easy loading them when you're fighting the steering wheel. I have the same motor as you do.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:16 am 

Guys, I got mine fixed. Turns out that inside of that tilt tube, there is a cylindrical bushing of some sort. you can move it with your finger from the port side tilt tube cavity. I tried this many many times, got frustrated and got a helper to try, and finally, with jiggling, twisting, etc, we got the ram through the bushing and all the way to secure it back with the clevis pin. It was not easy, and its my belief that someone knows a trick here that will make it easier.

Anyway, we greased the ram down real good with some marine grease and topped off the power steering fluid (I don't think it was low enough to cause an issue, but still we added some). The steering is now MUCH easier. I am happy enough now that I am not going to mess with changing the pump unless it goes bad again.

For the leak: Hopefully your leak is right near the pump.... that would probably be the best scenario as access is a bit easier. Use a white rag to wipe around until you find the red Dexron fluid. The pump is right under the oil filter though, so there is probably also some drips of engine oil there as well that happened only when changing the oil filter (hard to avoid). Next you will need to wipe around near the actuator (where both of those hoses lead from the pump). It would be a pain, but I think that actuator comes out with only a clevis (the bigger one) and maybe 1 other bolt? Its tough working in that area due to access. In the middle somewhere there's a ps oil cooler... I really hope your leak is not there, cause I have yet to locate it, lol... probably a pain to get to.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:41 pm 

How did you grease the ram? There isn’t a grease fitting anywhere on it, is there?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:29 am 

On the older style like mine the grease fitting was for the actuator valve not the ram per se. however in the OMC maintenance manual they recommended turning the steering to one side to expose the full length of the ram and grease it by hand with OMC triple guard grease every 6 months. I’ve done both and at 32 years old it still works well. I did pick up a spare actuator assembly in good shape on EBay just in case. I got that and a set of trim rams on my Cobra spare parts bin! Also picked up a couple of fresh water used intake manifolds for the old pre Vortec 4bbl V6, which I actually prefer to the later Vortec engines...

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:28 pm 

Misterfu02, I used the method described by LouC above. Just expose the ram (the shiny part) by turning the wheel, then grease it up real good with a rag or even your hand. I just used plain ole marine grease (same stuff that goes in your trailer wheel bearings). I think this alone was what made the difference. I have an '07 penta so it know it works with more than just older OMC.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:05 am 

If you can find it (try amazon) get a couple of tubes of Evinrude triple guard grease. This stuff holds up great and lasts and lasts. One application will last for the whole season. It works great on the prop shaft splines, and driveshaft splines. Next best is Lucas Marine grease which I use in the gimble bearing,
u-joints and the trailer wheel bearings.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II