www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:15 am 
Tadpole

so i recently switched boats to a 2005 Horizon 200LE and the engine ran OK first couple times without any notice of the gauges high or reading abnormal (considering the trim gauge wasn't working and I had to blow out the speedo line, i feel like i wasn't oblivious/ignoring the gauges). Out this weekend and the oil pressure was reading 40 PSI at idling and while trolling, and 60-70 PSI at 3/4 WOT and has me concerned (gauge range is 0-80). Manual says pressure minimums way below these values, but also, that's minimums, so i'm not sure how much higher than those i should be concerned about. i definitely didn't want to run it at WOT and peg the oil pressure gauge. temp gauge was fine the whole time. old owner said the oil had been changed when he had it winterized in the fall, and oil level on dipstick looks good. Suggestions on what else to check? Had a date scheduled to have it given a once-over and tune-up next week anyways, but would like to look into what I can and see if anything I can check if I take it out this weekend. Thanks in advance.

manual for the 5L GL:
Oil Pressure (Minimum)
@ 1000 RPM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6 PSI (41 kPa)
@ 2000 RPM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18 PSI (124 kPa)
@ 4000 RPM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 24 PSI (166 kPa)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:04 pm 
email admin your custom rank

robbm2k wrote:
so i recently switched boats to a 2005 Horizon 200LE and the engine ran OK first couple times without any notice of the gauges high or reading abnormal (considering the trim gauge wasn't working and I had to blow out the speedo line, i feel like i wasn't oblivious/ignoring the gauges). Out this weekend and the oil pressure was reading 40 PSI at idling and while trolling, and 60-70 PSI at 3/4 WOT and has me concerned (gauge range is 0-80). Manual says pressure minimums way below these values, but also, that's minimums, so i'm not sure how much higher than those i should be concerned about. i definitely didn't want to run it at WOT and peg the oil pressure gauge. temp gauge was fine the whole time. old owner said the oil had been changed when he had it winterized in the fall, and oil level on dipstick looks good. Suggestions on what else to check? Had a date scheduled to have it given a once-over and tune-up next week anyways, but would like to look into what I can and see if anything I can check if I take it out this weekend. Thanks in advance.

manual for the 5L GL:
Oil Pressure (Minimum)
@ 1000 RPM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6 PSI (41 kPa)
@ 2000 RPM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18 PSI (124 kPa)
@ 4000 RPM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 24 PSI (166 kPa)

Well, those minimums would not make me happy at all! In practice your OP readings are not out of line depending on what oil is being used...if its a straight weight you can get those readings, as you can with the Merc 25/40. On my ancient '88 4.3 I get
40 psi at cold slow idle, running speeds 50-60 psi, sometimes a bit higher, not as high as 80 though. After coming off plane, it will usually drop to 30 or so. So, I don't really think you have a problem! If I had 6 psi at idle, or 24 psi at 4000 to me that's a problem!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/25070o8154ssw ... l.jpg?dl=0

this was taken after idling for a while after coming off plane. 40 psi. Engine is 32 years old...

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Last edited by LouC on Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:44 pm 
Shark

My 4.3 mercruiser I bought new. is about 6 years old now. It pegs the gauge cold. Runs 75 lbs at anything over 2000 rpm forever. Has 45 lbs hot idle pressure. Oil pressure is a good thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:30 pm 
email admin your custom rank

If you worked your boat fairly hard like towing watersports or cruising 10 miles, the oil temp will come up and the oil pressure will usually be lower at idle. After a few minutes the oil will cool some and the oil pressure at idle will come back up some. I would say that if you have at least 25-30 psi at dead slow idle and you are seeing 60+ lbs when warmed up at cruise you have a good tight engine. Its always good to let the engine warm up before going to high rpm. The oil pump may generate more volume with cold oil than the oil pressure relief valve can manage. Warm the engine up before demanding high power, and let it cool down at idle before shutting down. It sounds like you have a good engine. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:29 am 
Tadpole

thanks to all, i didn't run it any harder to see if the pressure would go down after heating up the oil, so i'll keep that in mind this weekend. appreciate the insight...