www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:35 pm 
Minnow

Hello everyone. My trim gauge is not working. My plan is to troubleshoot the sending unit to see if it falls in the proper resistance range, but before I do that I am noticing that the there is nothing on the housing that comes into contact with the sending unit lever. Am I missing something? It appears that as the trim goes up and down it rotates the arm on the sender, but nothing is contacting this to make the arm rotate. Is there something missing on the housing that should touch the sender?

thanks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:35 pm 
email admin your custom rank

The trim sending unit is on the right side of the drive at the pivot point. When you remove the 2 screws and remove the sender you will see that the sender plugs into a recessed hex bolt. These senders are prone to water ingestion that ruins the rheostat inside. The sender is almost always the issue. Replacements can be found at your local dealer or online such as ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... r&_sacat=0

Look at yours to see if it has 2 or 3 wires. It can be fun trying to get the wires fed through the transom, It is not as desireable, but wires might get spliced on the outdrive rather than inside the engine compartment. If so, make sure they are sealed well and secured so they do not get in the way of other moving parts. Adjust the resistance to the correct value by turning the rheostat before installing, then fine tune after installation. Hope this helps.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:00 pm 
Minnow

Thanks for the information.
My question was more on the physical contact that the drive makes on the sending unit. As the trim goes up and down, it doesn't contact the arm on the sending unit at all. Should it be in contact at all times to rotate the arm down or up?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:11 am 

have a look at the sender or a pictureof it in my previous link. The black sender housing is attached with 2 screws thru slotted holes to the the part of the outdrive housing that rotates around the pivot point as the outdrive is trimmed up or down. From the picture, the white hex piece is on the rheostat shaft and plugs into the socket head cap screw (or bolt) that is the pivot point. You can use an ohm meter to check resistance between wires as you rotate the rheostat to verify operation, and you will most likely find the rheostat is not working correctly.

From your other post in the Horizon group, you questioned whether the sender was making correct contact to work properly. Do you see any indication of trim gauge needle movement?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:41 pm 
Minnow

Guys. I thanks for all your help. Maybe Im not asking the question properly.
If you take a look at the picture in the link below...this is like the sending unit I have. My question is whether something needs to rotate the arm at the bottom left of the image attached. It appears that the housing needs to contact this small 1/2" peg at the bottom. But it doesn't come in contact at all with this part.
Should it? Or am I looking at this wrong.
thanks again
G

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... L._AC_.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:22 pm 

OK, I never had that type of senser. I was looking at google and saw the following...

https://www.google.com/search?q=volvo+s ... nQMHYDInJM

Looking at some of the pictures, it sort of looks like an older Cobra part. There is a picture of one something like yours identified for an '88 Cobra drive. Which drive do you have? Mine looked like the Volvo Penta SX drives.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:36 am 

That’s definitely an OMC Cobra trim sending unit...

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:27 pm 
Minnow

These are all the model numbers

Engine 502APHUE
Transom 3868175
Drive 3868156

Its tough to untangle because some of the parts say Volvo Penta on them.

So this being confirmed a cobra Sending unit. Does anyone know if the end of the arm should be in contact with the housing?
It doesnt look like it does contact at all when it goes up and down

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:10 pm 

is it installed on the boat? I that's the wrong sending unit for what you have...

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II