www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:09 pm 
Minnow

Hello All,
Its that time of the year for me to say goodbye to the warm weather and winterize my boat. Wondering if anyone has an opinion on which method is better.
1. Use the earmuffs and run the boat till it gets hot, then run the antifreeze through it.
2. Work from the motor side, drain the block and pour in from the hoses.

I've seen both these methods and I'm not sure which to go by.
Does anyone know how many water drain plugs on this old engine?

thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:09 am 
email admin your custom rank

# 2 is the way to do it, the priority is to get all the raw water out....
On the engine there are 2 drains one on each side of the block. You should poke these with a pick or thin screwdriver to make sure they drain, because they can clog up. You also have to disconnect the big hose where it connects to the bottom of the front circulation pump. The engine alone holds about 4-5 gallons of water. Then each manifold has either a metal plug or a rubber cap that gets removed; they each hold about 1-2 qts.

Now if this is a 95 model it probably has the raw water pump on the engine just like the Volvo SX. So there are 2 hoses leading it it, these should be marked do you don’t mix them up and disconnect them to allow them to drain. Then take the one that goes back to the transom and hold it up, with the drive tilted all the way down. Fill it with AF until the AF runs out the water intakes of the drive. That pushes water out of the hose & the water passages in the drive. Then you can reconnect the hoses, make sure you don’t mix up the ones on the impeller housing or else it will overheat.

If you want to fill with antifreeze it is optional, I would use -100 because it stays liquid down to a very low temp (-55*F). The -50 and -60 both start to get hard at 5-10* above zero but do not expand. Regardless, I would not put anything in a cast iron engine that gets hard at zero.
What I do now instead of using -100 is buy 3 gallons of Sierra Propylene Glycol antifreeze and mix it 50/50 with water. That gives you -26*F freeze protection. Then after draining, I disconnect the hose from the circulation pump at the thermostat housing at the top end. Then I fill that with AF till it spurts out the thermostat housing neck and then reconnect the hose, engine is full. Then I disconnect the feed hoses from the thermo housing to the manifolds, at the thermo housing. Take each one and fill each manifold with AF till it runs out the exhaust housing. You do the same with the hose from the impeller housing to the transom. This is the best way to do it because:
1) all the raw water is removed first
2) no risk of burning the impeller if it can't suck in the AF fast enough which sometimes happens on engine mounted impellers.

The suck up the AF from the tank method can be used on engines with closed cooling, but on raw water cooled engines its very risky.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:34 pm 

Hope you are having a blast with our 190! We bought our '95 190 Horizon new in early 1995 and ran it usually 150 hours each year for 18 seasons.

For winterizing the engine on that boat and our current 268 Vista, I will usually run it on the hose and muffs to warm it up for an oil change. For the cooling system I drain the block, manifolds, and hoses at the water pump to get most of the water out. I always add automotive anti-freeze to the engine for winter storage. I use a plastic storage bin as a reservoir, with a bilge pump and hose connected to muffs to supply and recirculate the anti-freeze. I run the engine long enough to get at least 120 degrees coolant temp. This will take usually 15 minutes or so. I use a couple short 2 x 4s to prop up the plastic bin so the front corner with the bilge pump is at the low point. I check the anti-freeze before and after to verify concentration for cold weather. Some years I have poured antifreeze into a hose to fill the block, and other years I have used the above procedure. I used 5 or 6 gallons for the 190, and 8 gallons for the 268 because the hot water heater is part of coolant system. I added longer wires with a switch to the bilge pump and connect it to the boat's battery. In the spring I use the plastic bin to catch the anti-freeze for use the next fall. Using anti-freeze is a bit more involved than just draining the cooling system, but I believe my method ensures thorough protection from freezing and better protection from rust and seals or gaskets drying out.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:00 pm 

If you can recover it using that method using automotive antifreeze can be OK (ethylene glycol) but be aware it is very poisonous esp to animals. If you are not recovering it you really should use the propylene glycol stuff because its not toxic. I've started using the Sierra brand PG antifreeze and mix it 50/50. This is much better than the -50 or -60 stuff and cheaper than the -100 stuff I used to use.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:00 pm 

If you can recover it using that method using automotive antifreeze can be OK (ethylene glycol) but be aware it is very poisonous esp to animals. If you are not recovering it you really should use the propylene glycol stuff because its not toxic. I've started using the Sierra brand PG antifreeze and mix it 50/50. This is much better than the -50 or -60 stuff and cheaper than the -100 stuff I used to use.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:14 pm 
Tadpole

Hi guys, newbie here, first time boat owner. I have a 1992 190 Horizon and am getting ready to winterize it, anything different from a '95? Sorry for the thread hijack...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:19 am 

What is different from the '92 vs the '95...
on the '92 the raw water pump is in the upper gear housing of the outdrive, and on the '95 its on the engine like a Volvo Penta, also the '92 is the original OMC Cobra design with dog clutch shifting vs the '95 with cone clutch shifting exactly like a Volvo SX.

As far as winterizing the only differences are on the '92 there are 3 drains on the pivot housing that should be removed (tilt the drive up to see all 3) then tilt down and poke the holes with a pick to see if any water comes out. '92 has 2 on the starboard side and 1 on the port, I think the '95 has only one on the port. Replace the drain plugs and put some gasket sealer on the threads.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mtmbog9eu3t6o ... 2.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pnxkaf506wvau ... 1.jpg?dl=0

2008 Walker Bay 8