www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:44 am 
Minnow

Hello all,
I'm trying to remove the trim cylinders from my OMC Cobra but am unable to do so.
Removed the caps, nuts and washers. Trying to tap the shaft through. It appears that it is stuck. Not stuck in the stern drive section in the middle but in the rams themselves. No matter how hard I hammer it, no movement through the ram end.
There appears to be a plastic bushing in each of the cylinder ends where the shaft goes through. This is where there is no movement.
Does this bushing need to be removed? Is it press fitted?

Any ideas? Am I missing a step?

Thanks everyone.

The Models are:
Engine 502APHUE
Transom 3868175
Drive 3868156

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:20 pm 
email admin your custom rank

You may need to use some specialty tools like a ball joint splitter which looks like a big tuning fork. Alternatively there is another style that uses a screw jack mechanism to separate parts. Use some penetrating oil and let it soak in first.
I know the first few times I pulled my drive I had to use the big tuning fork to get them to move. After that every year I lubed the rod and the bushings with triple guard grease and didn't have much trouble after that.
On mine they have the old style rod with the nuts on each end retaining it. This is actually better in a way because one of the nuts will get seized on, and you can use that to turn the rod to get it to break free a bit, then use a block of wood to tap it in towards the side that still has the nut on it, and kind of unscrew it with a socket while using the tuning fork to force it out.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:56 am 
Starfish

Assuming you have solved this? I ran into this problem just a few months back. I was able to remove the pin by using a smaller diameter drift to pound it out from one end after liberally hitting it with some PB Blaster. It took a while and I would alternate sides with the drift. It would move a little each way and I would apply PB Blaster to the end that would be exposed before hitting it back in from that side. It finally broke loose after a while. Just make sure you use a drift with a smaller diameter than the pin so you don’t “mushroom” the pin end you are pounding on. The pin should be liberally coated with grease when you replace so this doesn’t happen again.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:06 am 
email admin your custom rank

Yep coat that thing with Evinrude triple guard grease or similar. That stuff is super sticky and will stay on a prop shaft the whole season. I've been able to get mine out every time and during the season my boat sits in salt water approx 4-6 months continuously.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II