www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 5.0gxi air leak?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:38 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Hey guys! Time for another great year of boating! I don't know about all of you, but for last year, boating was a life safer when everything else was shut down for covid. It was the one place where you could go and forget some worries for a while.

Anyhow, I'm getting the boat ready for hopefully another great year.
I changed the impeller and fired up the boat for the first time this year. A bit cold and our water level is still low, but it was good enough for a quick test run.

The engine sounds beautiful at idle, but when I rev it, I hear a bubbling noise that increases with rev from the engine that really sounds more like an air hiss than water. It does this even when revving in neutral (prop disengaged). Engine temp is normal, pressure is normal.... I didn't notice any additional water getting in the bilge, but there is old nasty water in there from last year (the amount below where a bilge pump can reach). I guess I'm going to clean out the bilge real good and see if something is leaking maybe? Because of this noise, I didn't ride at WOT, but the boat seemed to get on plane as usual...

Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: 5.0gxi air leak?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:00 pm 
Shark

I got new bumpers. 2 new horizon VHF radios. I already did all my other preparations. New lights where needed. New rollers. I got my tags for the ramp on both my trucks. Boats tags are updated. I got one of those tube deals with a seat and cupholders today. It was there.

It is a cold snap right now. In the 20's My buddy started his already. My deal is start it clean it and wax it up for the summer. I am ready.

Yea last year the landing was closed for covid months longer than usual. Well it is open now but they haven't put the dock in. We are doing the spring thing at the river. Back and forth to flood stage. I would like to check the lake see what it looks like.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:23 am 

I forgot to follow up on my post. I cleaned the bilge, topped off the power steering fluid (it was slightly low), and no further issues. In fact, we logged probably another 20-30 hours this summer with no issues. I just winterized yesterday, and no signs of fluid leakage in the bilge. Power steering fluid is not supposed to disappear, but, I did unhook the steering shaft mid summer '20 when trying to diagnose my hard steering issue. In the end, greasing the ram, and topping off the ps fluid seems to have made it all well. Moral of the story is, make sure you always check the easy stuff before you start taking things apart, lol.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:43 am 

You know that there are rebuild kits for the steering acutators that Volvo Penta says are "not servicable" because they want to sell you a new one for grand or so. There is also a place in Fla that will rebuilt them for about $450. If you have a good hydraulic shop near you they can probably do it if you ever need it.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II