Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Corroded Gimbal housing
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:03 pm 
Minnow

All,
Have a 1995 5.0 Cobra /penta SX
in a previous post I asked about a vibration when turning. You help led me to remove the drive and re-allign the engine. It was in fact off center and has since been corrected. It is now perfectly straight but the vibration has not gone away.

I am narrowing it down to a corroded gimbal housing. Ive been told that the gimbal bearing needs to be hammered in with some good force because of how tight it is.
On mine, I can install it all the way in with my hand. The aluminum housing has corroded and the opening has become larger and not perfectly round.

Is there anything I can do? jb weld? a sleeve? shims? anything?
I cannot find an SX housing. Any advise on other models/engine sizes that use an equivalent part? I found a local 3.0 cobra housing but I dont think it will "fit"
thanks again!
G

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:51 pm 
email admin your custom rank

The only OMC Cobra parts that will fit, are from the joint venture years, that is 1994-1998; in those years they were the same as the Volvo SX . The earlier Cobras are very similar but there are small differences, you might not notice unless you compared them side to side.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... g&_sacat=0
I found few but they are not cheap. They are out there though. What I see are ebay sellers who part out rotted boats and put stuff like this up on ebay. Just be careful but I got a complete transom assembly for my OMC Cobra including the trim rams and a complete outdrive with the correct ratio for the 4.3. For less than $1500 for both. Cobra parts are cheaper by far, but what you need is out there. Just have to look and be careful.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II