www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:07 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Hey guys, its been sometime since ive been on here. So i have a Horizon 180 RS with the 5.7GL motor. The boat is in excellent condition. However fall of 2019 I missed my winterization window and ended up cracking the block. Long story short i had the marina install a new 5.7L motor. They ordered the motor and installed it. I was having some issues with the new electric fuel pump getting hot and vapor locking and stalling out. but got that corrected , however the motor will not run to full RPM's the max i can get is 3900-4000 while trimmed out. I let them know about it and at first they said it was the Tach that didnt work correctly but i sent a video showing that lost about 9-10 Mph and it kinda surges at full throttle. i told them the tach worked fine with the original motor and that it needs to be corrected. they agreed and said they will work on it.. i did forget to tell you they did rebuild the carb and also installed a new pick up in the tank. This was done because they thought the new fuel pump was working properly. found out the new fuel pump was bad. I guess my question now is what could cause me to lose 600-800 RPM.. I'm kinda concerned that they will come up with some lame ass excuse. they took all summer last year to get me to this point. Any Ideas.. ? is the carb out of adjustment? its runs and sounds good up to 3800rpm but starts to cut back a little over that. just trying to get an idea on what the issue could be and if any of you have experienced this issue. I would surely thing this brand new motor would be able to run at more than 3900 RPM's.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:01 pm 

If it runs good and strong up to 3800 rpm then starts to feel choked above that, my first inclination would be to say that the floats aren't adjusted correctly in the carb. Sounds like it's starting to starve itself of fuel. Or maybe the fuel pump isn't supporting the required fuel flow.

But this is only a guess, since I don't have an I/O and have limited experience with carbed V8's. Sorry I can't help more.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:48 am 

Have they verified proper fuel pressure? Was the carb cleaned out and rebuilt? 2bbl or 4bbl?
Have they verified that the throttle plates in the carb are opening fully when the throttle lever is in the wide open position? Choke fully open? Have they verified that the timing is set correctly and you are getting full timing advance at the specified rpm?

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:23 am 

Lou,
So they said they rebuilt the carb. Its a 2bbl they also replaced the fuel pump once due to lack of pressure. they said the fuel pump was pumping properly. Im slowly losing faith in these guys.. This is a larger marina here in Columbus Ohio also.. surprised. i don't think they have verified anything with the carb.. I wondered the same thing. pushed the throttle all the way and it opens the carb up to the stops. the top flap in not in the straight up position. its at an angle.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:17 pm 

Well if the engine is cold, the choke flap will be closed or close to it. It is an electric choke so as soon as the engine starts it will start to open, should be open in about 3-5 min of run time. If it's a Holley 2bbl they are about the simplest carbs there are to rebuild. While the fuel pump may be fine, the accel pump may need replacement, the diaphragms do fail after some years. Take a look at the vids on holley.com for an idea of what's involved. Personally if I had a 5.7 I would for sure get a 4bbl Holley or Edelbrock. It will REALLY wake up that boat. I have a 4bbl Quadrajet on my old 4.3 that I've rebuilt a couple of times, it still runs quite well overall.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II