www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:02 pm 
Goldfish

My 2003 Volvo 5.7 engine is reading full of engine oil with 5 quarts of oil. The operators manual says it should hold 6 quarts of oil with filter change. I think someone put the wrong dipstick in it before I bought it. Could someone please take a measurement on their dipstick length. Thanks alot, Ks.

Last edited by Ksflyer1 on Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:24 pm 
230 Mike

Ksflyer1 wrote:
Could someone please take a measurement on their dipstick length.

Oh boy.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:38 pm 
Dolphin

When I do a oil change it only takes 5 quarts to refill it to the nomal level. I think one quart doesn't get pumped out. I always run the engine first to warm the oil to make it easier to pump out. Also I fill the new oil filter with oil before installing. I don't know the length of the dipstick but could the the reason it takes only 4 quarts to refill is because 2 quarts are still in the oil pan after you pumped out the oil?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:17 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Assuming you are changing oil for boat on water …. I had a similar issue finding out my boat was on trailer and not leveled. Once I leveled boat then it took right amount of oil…. VP 5.7 in my last boat took typically 5 to 5.5 quarts to fill up with a new filter so if your boat is on level I think little amount of oil is left in engine.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:45 am 
Goldfish

Here are some details. Boat was level in the driveway. Looks like the dipstick tube goes right to the bottom of the oil pan which makes it almost impossible to leave a measureable amount of oil in with a suction type oil change machine. Engine was warmed to full operating temperature. I have done numerous oil changes on my previous Mercruiser engines without an issue like this. No pun intended 230 Mike! Thanks guys, KS.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:09 am 

One way you can find out is to drain oil from the engine completely using suction devise first and open the drain plug on bottom after. Rack trailer up and down and make sure you drain oil as much as you can. Put 6 quarts of oil and start up engine… (make sure use water muff) Shut the engine down and wait a few minuets so all excess oil would go down to pan. Then see where dipstick reads…. If it is different from factory line then you can remark your own so you have a base line….

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:34 pm 

Many times these refill amounts are 'approximate' and are not exact. If the dip stick is the correct one (verify with Volvo) then just fill it enough to reach a little under the full mark, the true reading should be taken with the boat in the water and it may sit different than it does on the trailer. I get the level right when it's still in the water. Then when I winterize, I measure how much I took out with the suction pump, and put in a little less. The filter probably holds about 1/2 qt. Again I do my final check with the boat in the water in the spring.
To give you an idea how approximate these figures can be, I recently changed the auto trans fluid on my old 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The shop manual says it takes approx 4.0 qts after a pan drop oil change. Well I measured what I took out when the level was correct and it was about 6 qts to fill. Re-filled it with 6 qts and it was right on the money. I think ChryCo may have made the pan bigger for the 98s and not changed the manual, so in any case once you verify the dipstick is the right one, then go by the dipstick.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II