www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:55 pm 
Minnow

I hear alot of talk about going to a Racor 10micron fuel filter instead of the VP OEM fuel filter. The local boat dealers around here are starting to recommend them due to the E10 fuel and the grit they stir up in the fuel system. Have any of you started using the racor 10mi or similar fuel filters?

I have a 98 240 Horizon with a 5.7GSi.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:06 am 
email admin your custom rank

We have had E10 gas here for at least 4 years, and so far the first year I did find a weird red gell like deposit in the filter but nothing after that, I used the regular Sierra Marine 21 micron filters. They just came out with a 10 Mircon one that I put on when I winterized it, but I can't say if there is any difference as of yet. The Racor can hold a more water than any of the other fuel filters because of the way it is designed, but you need to use the version with the metal bowl for inboards, the plastic bowl version where you can check the fuel visually is for outboards only. They are longer and take up more room and the filter costs more than twice as much as the Sierra filters. I always check my Sierras for water by dumping out the gas at winterization, so far no water. If I do get a water problem I will use the Racor (bought one just in case) for now I will stick with the Sierras because they have worked fine for me.

With the metal bowl Racor for inboards, you can check for water in the gas by removing the pipe plug in the bottom of the bowl, but you need to be careful not to spill gas in the bilge, I use a big plastic coffee can under the filter when I change them at winterization.

If you replace the filter make sure you put oil on the rubber gasket or else you can have a tough time getting it off.

As far as ethanol problems, one thing you can do to avoid it is to make sure the gas cap gasket seals well, since ethanol attracts moisture in the air, you definitely don't want any additional water getting into your gas tank.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:06 am 
if you change your filter on a regular basis you should have no worries.