www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Drive will not go down
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:59 pm 
Starfish

My bravo 1 drive will not now go to the downward position; it started acting up about a month ago where it would get stuck here and there, but i suspected the trim gauge and was going to get the servicing dealer to have alook at at the next service. A few days ago i after having the boat layed up for about ten days when i was on holiday, we launched and the admiral went to park the truck i could only get the trim down about 1/8 from the top, i kept trying moving it up and down without luck, the admiral came back to the boat i was about to tell her we would have to put it back on the trailer, i was still working the trim and sudenly it started to go down bit by bit, so we went out for the day all remained well, the next day we launched again and the trim got stuck again but with a few ups and downs we got it down, went out but when we went to go home we could not get the trim down at the beach but after a while up and down we got it down. Two days later we are due to launch again but decide to try the trim before we go will not move even a fraction, checked fluid in the resivior seems OK. The hardest thing i have ever had to do was tell the family we where not going boating today :shock: . Has anybody got any ideas on the fix, any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:35 am 
Mental Floss

Is the trim pump running when it won't move? There could be a relay that is failing which would prevent it from operating. If the trim pump is running and working then chances are the rams will have to be rebuilt or replaced. Hoses could be leaking too. I haven't had to deal with rams but several in the club have on Mercs. Rebuilding has been of limited success.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:28 am 
Villiage Idiot

As J says, lets figure out if it's electrical or mech prob first, and go from there. Does the pump run or even the relays click when you mash the button?

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:39 pm 
Starfish

All seems normal in the way of noises and the higher whine of fully up no leaks, may have to look at new ram(s),not real good for 4 years old?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:27 am 
Villiage Idiot

Alright... So it seems to be working electrically. Next, try disconnecting the rams from the drive. Should be fairly easy and self explanatory once you look. Basically to see if one or both of the rams function without moving the drive. See if that gets you anywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:23 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Howdy,

First of all when was the last time the fluid was replaced in the trim pump (if ever), and was there water or emulsified oil in it?

There's check valves and filters in the trim pump that sometimes get sticky and plugged respectively.

Also, if you have had water in the system it may have caused damage to the trim cylinders making them sticky.

disconnecting the hoses will probably reveal if they're sticking.

I had to replace the filters in my pump recently. They were just falling apart.

Regards,

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:17 am 
Starfish

Have disconnected the rear mount from drive to ram, tried to operate, still no luck, disconnected hydrolic lines fron rams, fluid runs freely and as normal( as far as i can tell) have removed the rams from the boat and will take them to the shop tomorrow will let you know how i go

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:18 pm 
Villiage Idiot

So neither ram will move when disconnected from the drive?? Wow, I could understand one getting stuck, but both suprise me. Sounds like you've located the culprit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:36 am 
Starfish

Shop diagnosed that they had both seized, apparently from small amounts of salt water trapped around rams, and ordered two new ones mercury remanufacture (old ones not worth rebuilding) Thanks to all who contributed to this thread