www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Got a major problem
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:53 pm 
Goldfish

It's a 2001 FW Horizon 190 w/ Volvo/Penta 5.0 gl with SX stern drive.

Bought it 2 weeks ago and put it in the water today and after about 10 mins with the engine running it overheated. And I mean all the way over to Hot! I pulled up the drive and nothing was blocking the water holes.

I just got home and looked into the water inlet holes on the stern drive and I can see little pieces of rubber. And I am pretty sure these are not supposed to be in there. I am trying to get them out, but could this be the problem? And what could they have come from?

Please help...Not a very good first time out :cry:

Update: This is what I have pulled out of the holes so far

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:43 pm 

that doesnt sound fun...better start looking for your local Volvo Penta dealer..the quicker the better as everyone is beginning to get boats out and ready for summer.

the first step i would do is put on the flush muffs and make sure the water is drawn in and pumped out.

Last edited by ifourwinns on Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:55 pm 
Tadpole

Aquaholic,

Those little rubber pieces you are are what used to be your impeller. It looks like all of the little rubber fins have broken off the impeller and no water is getting circulated through your engine.

I would recommend buying a a shop manual for your engine and you can replace the impeller yourself. It's not too difficult and only about $30 for parts.

Otherwise, you can take it to a dealer and spend about $150-200.

Whatever you do, don't run the engine anymore as it will just continue to overheat and potentially do damage.

Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:21 am 
230 Mike

Might be a good idea to pull what's left of the impeller out, and try to match up the pieces you found to it in order to determine how much more of it is unaccounted for. I hope none of it is lodged in your engine.

Once it's back together with a new impeller, replace it every two years at least. I keep a spare in my tool bag on board, also.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject: impeller...
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:16 pm 
Dolphin

A spare impeller? Mike...you continue to amaze me. I couldn't hope to learn as much about our baby as you have in such a short time. Impressive! You want to teach a class?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:30 pm 
Goldfish

*UPDATE*

Got the old impeller out and the new one in. And I also have a spre now onboard..(Thx, Mike :) )

She runs nice and cool now. Found almost all the rubber parts :? from the old impeller, but I keep running it everyday, trying to flush more out, if any is left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:13 pm 
Mental Floss

Here is what you need. Part #2. Should be Volvo part# 3858256

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:34 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I was very impressed at the ease of replacing the impeller on my Volvo 5.7GS engine! It sealed back up real nice. Mine wasnt bad "yet", but I wanted to replace it before it sent rubber pieces through my engine :wink: I've been told to replace the impeller at least every 2 seasons, if you want to be really particular about it- replace it every season.

379 hours as of 8/8/21

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:01 am 
Shark

Technologic80 wrote:
I was very impressed at the ease of replacing the impeller on my Volvo 5.7GS engine! It sealed back up real nice. Mine wasnt bad "yet", but I wanted to replace it before it sent rubber pieces through my engine :wink: I've been told to replace the impeller at least every 2 seasons, if you want to be really particular about it- replace it every season.

Well, for those 205 Sundowner owners, its not quite that easy. I've been told by my local service centre, and had it confirmed by the dealer, that changing or inspecting the impeller on my boat is a major hassle, and cant be easily done without removing the engine from the hull. I really wonder if this is "fair dinkum". Having said that, i had a look for myself, and it does seem nigh on impossible to do safely with the engine in the boat. The water pump housing is on the front right, and there's only about an inch clearance to the front of the bilge / bulkhead.

BTW Mercruiser 5.0 MPI / Bravo II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:11 pm 
230 Mike

Ernie - just saw your earlier post (I wish this board had a "your recent posts" like BABC does). Teach a class? Pfffffft. I learn so much more on these boards than I could ever hope to give back. I just try to absorb what I read on these boards, remember everything in the shop manuals, throw in common sense, and stir it all gently with conservatism (not the political kind, but that doesn't hurt either), and hope that keeps me from being stranded on the lake sometime :roll:.

But thanks for the kind words!

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:38 pm 

I had the same thing happen to me when I first launched the boat on May 6th. It is still in the shop with $1k worth of damage. I didn't catch the over heat fast enough and it melted the elbows, damaged some seals and technically was sinking in the middle of the lake. I've leaned an important lesson about impellers. I'll be changing mine every year from now on. Funny how my engine temp indicator reacted slowly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:02 am 
230 Mike

AlexJ, which engine, and how old was the impeller? Not trying to rub it in, just trying to get a handle on when an impeller is definitely beyond it's useful life. I'm sure sorry to hear about that.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:05 am 
268 Vista

It's probably different for each application, but as a rule of thumb, an impeller should be replaced every 2 to 3 years of use. It does depend on
how much you use your boat. Every year seems a bit excessive, but at least you would not have to worry about it.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:54 am 

yes, it certainly depends upon the amount of hours used....some may put 100hrs per season, while others only 20 or less.
:lol:
ifourwin...going to get me a copy of Trailer Boats now..thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:23 pm 

I bought the boat last fall with 100 hrs on the engine. It is a 1999 238 Vista, Volvo Penta 5.0 Gi. I can't tell when the last time the impeller was changed. Don't worry about rubbing it in, I've been trying to get as much info in my brain as I can and this is just one of those pieces that I wasn't aware of until after I had the problem. Alex J