www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:03 pm 
Sting Ray

Of course, if you have a MerCruiser with Alpha 1, you must dissemble the drive to get to the impeller.

I also keep a spare impeller on board, and I also keep a bit of Vaseline to help lube it into life..... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:05 pm 
Mental Floss

I'm curious how my inpellers will look. I'll be doing another service here shortly, about 20 hrs away from the 300 hr mark. We will be going to St. Augustine and Jacksonville for 4 days. The first half of the week I'll be doing the oil, gearlube and impellers.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:23 pm 
230 Mike

Vista - Al wrote:
I also keep a spare impeller on board, and I also keep a bit of Vaseline to help lube it into life..... :P

See, it's not just me :). Good idea on the Vaseline, Al. I just buy the Volvo kit which includes the impeller, a new O-ring, and a tube of glycerine. If a new impeller isn't lubed when installed, it can be destroyed at initial startup.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:54 am 
email admin your custom rank

This is an update to my engine over heating problem May 6th. I still don't have my boat. The marina gave it back to me 2 weeks ago and said it was good to go. The first clue that I had not picked up on, that it wasn't was that it was hard starting. The mechanic had to come out to get it started for me and said that I had flooded the engine. ???? Anyways, once I got clear of the Marina, I tried to power up and it stuttered like crazy. I had to limp back to the slip to see If I can find anything wrong. I had to wait until the next day and I couldn't get it started again. The starter went out. The boat went back to the marina and they found more burnt Wiring, replaced the starter and now the engine is torn down to remove blown head gaskets. My first boating experiance is really becoming a disaster of an experiance. I'm ready to sell the boat or find a new marina.

1995 Four Winns Horizon 190
OMC 5.0 RL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:07 am 

I bet that when the impeller went bad and the engine overheated, thats when the head gaskets bit the dust.

Just remember, its just a small "speed bump". Dont let it ruin all of the good times with your family out on the lake forever! 8) These things happen, its unfortunate-yes, it sucks- yes. But a lesson is always to be learned from these kinds of experiences. That lesson = B.O.A.T. - Bust Out Another Thousand :lol: Trust me, we've all been there, done that when it comes to boating.

Just a little tidbit here. When I bought my 99 Vista 258 this past January the VERY FIRST thing I did along with the obligatory oil change(s) and tune up was replace my impeller. Its something that should be on the list to check/replace annually, IMO.

379 hours as of 8/8/21

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:45 pm 
Mental Floss

Alex, insist on a compression test before you pay for the repairs. With a head gasket blown water could have gotten into the engine and the starter not working (couldn't turn, hence the burn wires) could have been due to a hydrolock. If there was any internal damage a compression check should help show things ain't right yet.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:36 pm 

Thanks for the input guys. I guess I needed a little encouragement. I really want to be on the water. I'll give the marina a call first thing monday and ask for the compression check.

1995 Four Winns Horizon 190
OMC 5.0 RL