www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:16 am 
ShanMan

After a few hours I've noticed a rattle, at idle, coming from the engine. Above idle speeds, it disappears.

I have some tools in the transom storage area that could (theoretically) be rattling, but they've always been there and this just started.

Is there anything I should look for?

http://vista278.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:10 pm 
Mental Floss

A rattle or a tick, tick, tick that increases as the rpms do? If it increases frequency with increased engine rpms I would look toward the gimbal bearing. Quite possible the bellows have allowed water in and the bearing is now having issues. Also if it changes as you turn the drive.

It's common for the sound of a noaisy gimbal to disappear with rpms as it just becomes a sound, not a ticking.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:39 pm 
ShanMan

THanks for the info. SHould this be happening on an engine with less than 5 hours? Should I have it looked at immediately, are there risks allowing it to continue until I reach my 20 hour service?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:46 am 
Mental Floss

Yes, get it looked at. If the boat is sitting idling, you should not hear anythting but the engine exhaust, no rattles or ticks.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:22 pm 
ShanMan

A few more observations...

We're up to ten hours now. I haven't done anything about it because I mentioned it to the salesman, and he didnt' seem too concerned. Plus, it seems to be happening randomly.

Today after we launched, no rattle. All day after anchoring and swimming, no rattle. However, when we were loading at the end of the day, it was very apparent.

I've got several issues that need tending to by the marine store and I don't want to have to take it in multiple times; they're an hour away. We're halfway there to the 20 hour service.

Post subject: rattle
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:34 am 
Sting Ray

Hi , i have a 2000 328 with twin vp 5.7 gsi duo props with the same rattle noise from my port drive. i had a bad gimbel bearing that we changed this spring, lubed the u-joints, changed bellows, checked engine alightment, and the noise came back early this season after the water warmed up and also after you run the boat for 45minutes or greater. the rattle noise goes away as soon as you but it into rev. or foward gear, or as soon as you rev it up a little. i read a post on another web site that states that this rattle type of noise could be normal, i really dont buy that. this is my second fw with twins dp drives and i never had this type of noise. i would really like some info on this if anyone has any, thanks Joe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:28 pm 
Tadpole

I think the best thing to do(keep in mind Iam an automotive mechanic) would be to wait until the rattle comes back, then as it is rattling open the engine cover or hatch, and try to find the rattle. It may sound too simple but in a constantly vibrating environment bolts, screws and other fasteners have a way of backing themselves out.
Just something to try out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:00 am 
Shark

Different boat, but I had a 2003 Glastron with the Merc 4.3 I/O that had a rattle. Turned out to be the metal exhaust riser output fitting (where you clamp the rubber exhaust connector to) tapping against the Y-Pipe fitting inside of the rubber connector. Probably not the case with yours, but it could be anything. (I sold the Glastron and bought my FourWinns after 2 years. That Glastron VEC boat was a piece of crap compared to the FW).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:41 pm 
AGE < LOA

Check all the hatch lids as others have said. The rubber insulation pads wear off quick and we have gotten some interesting noises from the hatches at various rpm's, and water conditions over the years.