www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:37 pm 
Shark

So I start my H180 VP 3.0 up for the first time today since fall last year and after 5 seconds of the engine running I notice water shooting out the side of the engine! :shock:

After inspection, I see a circular hole on the engine missing its plug. The plug is in the bilge area. Sure enough, it blew out when cranking the engine. Here's a picture of where I plugged it back in: (you can see my finger pointing at it)

http://picasaweb.google.com/wernerlab13/FourWinns#5327614707933080930

Here's another view. You can see some wood dust where I hammered it back in with a wooden block: (so not to warp the plug)

http://picasaweb.google.com/wernerlab13/FourWinns#5327614700471021346

I very nervously hooked the hose back up and ran water. Luckily no leaks. I started the engine and let it run 15 minutes. No overheating still no leaks. It must have popped off when I cranked the engine for the first time.

Can anyone explain what happened? I'm worried it will pop out again when I get it on the water this weekend. Please advise!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:44 pm 
All Night Long

popped a freeze plug?

i'm not sure what the protocol is for that. ha ha.

have you called your dealer and asked them?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:50 pm 
Shark

A freeze plug is what I suspect too but am not sure. I'm a little concerned about taking it to the dealer as I have trust issues with them so I wanted to get you guys opinion on it first. Will call the dealer in the morning.

The plug didn't blow out until after I started the engine. No water leaks until the plug blew out. Now no leaks after plugging it back in.

Man I'm worried.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:53 pm 
All Night Long

How did you winterize your boat? You may have had some blockage and pressure built on that first start?

Popping it back in is great - but I think those all all pressure fitted... Not sure what else you might have to do.

Looks like it did what it was meant to do - which is a good thing.

Hopefully someone with more experience around this can chime in.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:59 pm 
email admin your custom rank

A "freeze plug" is a common misnomer. They are actually core plugs; they are there to block off the holes when the resin/ sand core used in the block casting process is removed. Yes, they do pop out usually when the water freezes, but that is not the design protocol.

The holes in the block are usually parallel sided, the plugs are tapered; so, they are just pushed or tapped in. It doesn't do any harm to have some sort of sealant there, but it usualy isn't needed. My guess is that it wasn't in right to begin with or maybe slightly undersize/ the bore slightly oversize. I would use a suitable sized socket and push/ tap it in a little further so it is slightly below flush.

Please be aware the consequences of one popping out can be catastrophic if the engine is running; I did have it happen once, but the block was cracked between the 2 plugs that popped out. If there are no cracks, you are probably OK. I am over 3,000 mils away, so I offer no guarantees !

Graham

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:19 pm 

+1 to Graham. Usually I coat the edge with a tiny smear of silicon and gently hammer them flush using a socket that just fits inside it. If it has popped out once, I would probably want to replace it just to be on the safe side. They are standard sizes and any auto supply shop should have - make sure you use brass ones and not the tin ones though!

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:11 pm 
Goldfish

I would have called it a frost plug also but I'll take Graham's word for it. Anyway, the same thing happened on our first boat, a '91 Freedom 170. It's was during our maiden voyage...just left the ramp and was heading out the harbour when a passenger told me there was water coming up from under the engine hatch. Suffice it to say that I spun around and headed back to the ramp pronto (not knowing at the time it was a plug, or that shutting off the engine would have stopped the water flow).

It was kind of scary being our first time out with the new-to-us boat (four adults, two kids, and two dogs on board) but it turned out to be exactly what you described. Hammered the plug back in and we were good to go, for a while. Unfortunately, a small persistent leak in the same area turned out to be a cracked block. That's a another long...and expensive story.

I'd have a mechanic check it just to be sure.

TSR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:47 am 
Shark

Thanks for the excellent feedback guys. A little more info. that may be related:

After running the engine for awhile with no problems, I decided to go ahead and change out the impeller while all the tools were in the boat. Two things stood out when pulling out the old impeller:

#1 - The impeller was a 'Johnson' part. The previous (original) owner must have changed the impeller and used an aftermarket part. My boat is a 2006.

#2 - The fins were turned in all different directions as it it wasn't installed correctly or perhaps stuck. Also, one of the fins was almost torn off 1/4 of the way from the top.

So, I installed a new Volvo part and applied glycern liberally and followed the instructions making sure all fins were turned in the right direction. Started it up again....no leaks no overheating.

My theory is that perhaps the aftermarket part was not installed properly, needed to be replaced, and perhaps was stuck over the winter. When I hooked up the hose, no water was spilling out of the engine so I know that plug was intact until I went to start the engine. Perhaps there was enough pressure built up inside the engine due to the stuck impeller that it popped that cap in the pictures? Again, this is just a theory and could be unrelated.

At any rate, I'll go back and try to pound that cap until its slightly recessed as suggested. Right now, its only flush and its a pain the a$$ to get leverage on a hammer to pound it in. I have a small piece of bamboo that fits just inside the cap in order to hammer it in recessed.

For obvious reasons I'm going to have a hammer onboard too when I take the boat out this weekend in case it pops out again. If it does, I'll have no choice but to get a mechanic to install a new plug in it. Hopefully its pressure fitted like some of you suggest and that only another out of the ordinary pressure build up pops it out again.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:52 am 
Narwhal

Might want to check all the "freeze plugs". Just because the weakest one 'popped' doesn't mean that the others were not affected. No leaks is a very good sign, but starting the engine and running at an idle out of water, is a heck of a lot different load on the engine than running it in the water at WOT. If I were in your shoes, I'd try and reseat all the plugs, then do another out of water leak check, then a couple in water runs staying close to shore at idle, preferably with a buddy in the cockpit watching for leaks and another in another boat to tow you back if necessary. Slowly increase the RPMs after each successful test run until you are doing hard turns at WOT. Remember, you're risking a couple grand repair bill, should a popped plug go unnoticed and the engine over-heat.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:14 am 
wkearney99

I wouldn't re-use an existing plug. The risk being that it's deformed slightly enough to risk popping out again under regular pressures. They're cheap but might take a day or two to order. I'd put up with the delay getting news ones as opposed to getting stuck out on the water. And get more than one replacement, freezing rarely pops out just one. Best to have a spare. This is also where having a clean engine with fresh paint it really helpful. If something leaks or wiggles loose you'll see it on the paint. Get yourself some touch-up paint to apply to the new plug(s).

I've found you can often use a large socket to hammer it back into place. A socket will give a better distribution of force. When tight for space you could use the side of the hammer, a hand maul (looks like a small sledge hammer, typical 8lbs or so) or some other heavy weight to tap it into place. I would have no confidence in using any sort of wood tool as the guide. Too much force gets lost or gets applied unevenly. Even and correct force is VERY important when dealing with any part of an engine.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:04 pm 

To be a safe side you might want to check motor oil that there is no water in oil.... If it is not milky after 15 minutes of running you should be all good..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:55 am 
Shark

Thanks for the tips guys. I went to Advance Auto parts and bought a replacement brass plug. If it pops out again, I'll replace it with the new one. I applied some gasket sealent when I went back and pounded it in recessed like the other freeze plugs.

I'll double check the oil before getting out on the water today. Wish me luck. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:35 am 
Shark

Reporting back. No water in the oil. Took the boat out yesterday. Ran great no issues. Thanks again.