www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:54 am 
Clownfish

During the winter I store the boat in our garage with the outdrive all the way down. During this time when it's on the trailer the cement floor prevents the outdrive from going all the way down so I cut the cement out just under the drive to allow it to go all the way down.

During the winter the garage prevents me from raising the engine cover and in the spring I need to use the power trim adjustment on the throttle to raise the trim enough to pull the trailer out of the garage. My question is if for some reason the battery in the spring doesn't work and I can't use the power trim to raise the drive could I manually raise it enough to pull it out of the garage?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:47 am 
Mental Floss

Since it's hydrolic and assuming you have no leaks in the system I can't see you manually lifting it because of the pressure. You would have to some how pump fluid into the rams inorder for it to go up.

I would suggest that you store your battery in a warm environment and keep it charged with a trickle charger. It will last you much longer that way. In the spring, just reinstall the fully charged battery in the boat and use the trim switch as usual.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:31 am 
ShanMan

I agree, trickle charger is the way to go. They are relatively inexpensive.

http://vista278.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:52 pm 
Clownfish

Thanks guys, I have dual batteries on the boat. I take one off during the winter and bring it inside the house and the other battery I have to leave on the boat to raise the drive in the spring. I do trickle charge both batteries throughout the winter but I was wondering if the one in the boat does go bad if there was a way to raise the drive around 3 inches?

The problem is that during the winter with the drive fully extended I can't raise the engine cover to get to anything so I can't change the battery in the boat although I do trickle charge it throughout winter.

Last edited by Midlife Crisis on Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:26 pm 
Shark

I would bring both batteries in charge them on alt months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:57 am 
Guppy

I agree with both posts about just taking the batteries in the house and charging them both. However, when my drive motor stopped working in the middle of the lake and I needed to load on the trailer I had to find a way to get the drive up manually. After perusing threw the owners manual I discovered that there is a way to move the drive up and down without battery power or motor. I have a 1995 Horizon 170 with the 4.3L Volvo so I don't know if this will apply to your drive. There is a preassure release screw on the outdrive motor. This takes 2 people to do since once the drive is up, unless the screw is retightened, it will drop back down. Had my Dad in the boat with the screwdriver and I was in the lake with the drive. Took some effort but finally was able to lift the drive all the way up. Almost could have used 2 people on the drive. Tightened the screw, loaded up, and took her to the shop just to discover a loose electrical connector!!!! Go figure! Live and learn. Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:26 am 
Clownfish

thanks tjckrueger, I'll check with my service guy to see if I have that screw.